Question about the AKG XLS sound.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 139705

Greetings

I have always wanted to build an AKG C12 because of the open and natural sounding top end. However, I have recently come to the conclusion that I actually prefer the low end of a solid state transformerless mic. After repeat listening I found that the AKG C414 XLS was a nice compromise for me. But I can't afford one😭

After reading much on the forums I have found a few diy routes that I "think" will get me fairly close to the sound of an XLS. But I really need some advice.

I keep hearing that the capsule is 90 percent of the mic, so if I just find any transformerless circuit and pair it with K12 capsule, would that work?

Vemisound has a Shoeps circuit they modified to be used with LDC capsules, I was thinking of using that. But is the Shoeps circuit anything like the one used in the modern day XLS? If not, does anyone know of a diy PCB that would work better?

Also, can anyone suggest a C12 style capsule that would be closest in sound to the XLS? There are so many people making them now, maiko, 3U, beez, etc...

Just buy a C414 XLS capsule. That model is still in production. Hell, you can sometimes find a usef C414 XLS or XLII for $400 USD. The capsule will cost you $150 alone unless you go with the RK-12 ($30 from the manufacturer), or the 797 or Takstar edge terminated capsules, which are around $70 USD.

The XLS and XLII sound nothing like the old C414s. I'd trust a CAD M179 to get me a clear open sounding more than I'd trust any current AKG mic, because there's something unnatural about them. If you're going with a Chinese capsule, I'd just buy the CAD M179 because it's $180 USD or so.

Now if you want to make a clone of the classic C414s with the brass ring capsule, you're gonna be spending like $400 or $500 on just the capsule unless you wait a couple years for the Chinese capsules to become decent.

Vemisound has a Shoeps circuit they modified to be used with LDC capsules, I was thinking of using that. But is the Shoeps circuit anything like the one used in the modern day XLS?
No. Very different. However, it may not sound too different because both circuits are very neutral.

Vemisound has a Shoeps circuit they modified to be used with LDC capsules, I was thinking of using that. But is the Shoeps circuit anything like the one used in the modern day XLS?

Is Schoeps like the XLS? Short answer is : NO.
Vami sounds has a great C-414 P48 diy pcb. Called the V 414.
Though it's not for noobs, it sounded better than my AKG C414 XLS.

As for a BRASS capsule closest to XLS ?
I think there is none on the DIY market that would sound as poor.
Even a good Chinese Brass capsule I got, sounded better to me.
Shocking, but true. Use your ears. ;)

M

Attachments

• AKG C414's compared.jpg
    AKG C414's compared.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back