Cleaning up PCB oil from popped hammond organ motor capacitor...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee_M

Hey guys,

I bought a hammond L-100 tonewheel organ a few days ago, It worked fine when I got it home and was running happily for a few more hours that evening. 
After turning it on the next morning there was no sound, Shortly followed by smoke from inside the organ!  :eek:

As it goes, My motor run cap went bust a day into my ownership of the thing.
After a bit of research online, I've found what seems like a suitable replacement...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8716365/

Here's where the tricky bit arises;
The previous cap was the type filled with PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl) oil, Which has leaked over the metalwork around the motor cap.
I know this is meant to be quite nasty stuff, So can anyone recommend any particularly effective (and safe) methods of cleaning up a small spill?

Obviously, I'll make sure to properly dispose of anything used to clean it up.

from google
http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/07/06045.htm#7
Spills involving less than 1 pound of PCBs with a concentration between 50 and 500 ppm:

Solid surfaces must be double washed/rinsed (all indoor residential surfaces cleaned to a surface concentration of 10 micrograms per 100 square centimeters (10 µg/100 cm2) PCBs. Solvents approved for cleaning PCB-contaminated surfaces include kerosene, toluene, and xylene; and

All soil, plus a one lateral foot boundary, must be excavated and the ground restored to its original configuration by back-filling with clean soil containing <1 ppm PCB.

Don't think you need to dig up dirt. Those solvents may be harmful to components so google that too.

JR

Thanks very much guys, Google kept sending me to info on clean-up procedures for industrial-sized spillages.

The spillage is only on the metalwork that the motor and motor run cap are mounted on, So I guess I'll just remove that whole assembly and make sure the motor is properly cleaned up too.

Cheers,
Lee

Latest posts

Back