"6N3 HiFi Buffer Amp" -- what does it really do? Schematic corrected again

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To close the loop on this one, based on the wrong schematic, I tore out the second triode stage on one channel and made a straight cathode follower with it. (I do need to figure out what to do with the still connected but going nowhere triode stage)

I already removed the 10k resistors on the input. So I strapped a 1M resistor across a 1/4" phone jack and connected it to the input of the other channel. That channel actually makes a decent clean preamp. Plenty of gain for the line ins on my board, without distortion, volume controlled by the guitar and the console fader.

So, I have a buffer for use with the 12AX7 preamp for a pretty rough and fuzzy sound, on one channel, and a modest preamp for a nice clean sound on the other. The heaters are referenced to ground and even with AC there is no noticeable hum. I had planned to run dc on the heaters, as I have a 9v winding on the transformer. But I have some spare 6.3v as well, so I just need to tidy it up a bit and find a case.

Back