8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to UPS tracking, I have a new shipment of boards arriving Wednesday 5/22.  :D Please email me if I haven't emailed you back already: martin_adriaanse[at]yahoo[dot]com

Cheers!

Martin

Hello there,
I need help.
I am finishing a four channel unit. I have plugged the first channel and it works like a charm.
I have attached the second unit and something went wrong at power up.

all three 1W resistor are becoming very hot very fast and the sound has distortion.
The alimentation is not to blame since it works for the first channel. I could have been wrong in the wiring but I checked, it is okay.
All composant seems to be good in terms of polarity etc...

I don't want to keep it attached, I am affraid it becomes too hot and burn something (other than component). So I have not taken any  measurment yet.
Maybe these symptoms are obvious to you, so I prefer to ask first.

Thanks to let me know.
Alex

Edit :
Actually, the 1W47R resistor below the 2N3055 is the one becoming too hot. It actually lost its color :)
Alex

alexidoia I posted photos some time back similar to what you are describing.  The preamps work but the resistors are cooked beyond recognition.

Will be upping them to 2W of good quality when I get the time. 

I believe I used some cheapy resistors and my suspicion is that something relating to the temperature coefficient of the cheap resistors.  What brand/quality of resistor did you use at this designation? 

I don't know with any certainty what can cause the issue and I don't think it was addressed further. 

Sound is actually NOT good. It has distortion and cut if not enough signal is given, like a sort of gate.
Third channel same symptoms. Hopefullu my first channel is working, I would have thought I did something wrong on all board.
Strange things, they all look similar, I have checked and checked them many times.
don't know what else to do.
Alex

Edit: I have taken some measurements :
- entering both pre-stage, I read 20V at the first transistor
- entering driver stage, I read also 20V at the first caps (I read 24, on the working channel)
- at the 47R-1W / 2N3055 I read about 2V on the working channel and I read about 15V on the bad ones.

Could it be a problem of poplyester caps that I burnt during soldering ?
Alex

Okay two out of fourth channel works good !
So I have two channel not working.
I have tested voltages and compared them to the ones on the working unit :
- I have no difference if I disconnect the output transformer.
- I have 15V at 47R-1W resistor on the bad channel and 2V on the good working channel, prestages have similar voltages with connected OT.

I have :
- tested all resistances.
- checked visually for capacitor that would have been solder the wrong way around.
- exchange output transformer (just in case)

Can someone take the time to go throught some checks to try to narrow the problem down ? On skype maybe ?
here is my email address : alex at idoia.com

I would appreciated the help.
Thank you.
Alex

Hello,

I have reheat again all solder point and one channel is now working OK. Only one is still not working R7 receive 15V instead of 2-3V and I can let it burnt the time to do other voltage check.

The list is pretty silent these days.

Alex

Done, all four channel are now working.
So what was it ?
My 5K log which was not set. Pff....
ANyway I am proud of myself and I will now try these babies on my drums !!!
Thanks a lot.
Alex

I went fast and I bought these neve like buttons from Don Audio :
http://www.don-audio.com/Red-Marconi-style-knob

Thing is they don't fit on the grayhill !!!
I'll keep them for something else, but then, what do you guys can advice that fit on the grayhill ?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

alexidoia said:
I went fast and I bought these neve like buttons from Don Audio :
http://www.don-audio.com/Red-Marconi-style-knob

Thing is they don't fit on the grayhill !!!
I'll keep them for something else, but then, what do you guys can advice that fit on the grayhill ?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

Hi Alex, on don-audio's website it says you can drill them out to 1/4". That's the size you need for Grayhill.

Best,

M.

I tried to perfectly re-drill some API knobs with a press. Let's just say i'm glad i bought a few extra...and i'm ok with how they turned out.  ::)
A few of them turn slightly off centre.

Latest posts

Back