990 working!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
igor, sichakta ota....

nice looking boards!
are they "home made" or you sent the layout to fabricate?
where do you get the parts?speacialy the transformers?

yofi shel avoda!

Congrats, Igor!

Isn't this the first working DIY 990? Peter C. tried I think but couldn't get it happening. If that's the case then - yes, let's see a layout!

cheers,
kent

I guess one reason there hasn't been all that much talk of a DIY 990 till now is that, when you can buy one for $50 from JH, there isn't much of an economic incentive to DIY. But I grant you, buying something off the shelf just isn't as much fun, is it?

Since it's a published circuit, I don't see anything ethically wrong with selling PCBs to hobbyists unless those PCBs are copies of JH's layout.

This is not "first workin DIY 990". I remeber Dale's 990. He told me that works nice, and without LM394 transistors, just bc550 matched. Hmmm, about layout, i can't see any problem with sharing between lab members. Are we here from some other reason, then to learn and help each other :thumb:

Hi folks!
The benefit from makin' instead of buying 990's
is like $30 for one opamp in qty's like 10,
even havin' in mind high work cost in Israel.
I need them in qty like 50 for my console,
thus, preffrereable diy (vc.buy) method :wink:
@Messmer:
Hossenfeffer incorperated!
Hope it is not nerd, otherways I gonna beat'ya! :twisted: :wink:
@ mich: Israeli way to do things is first ask people, then find out
you anyway had answer inside of one of books on the shelf :grin:
Now, about all this legal stuff with 990.
My english is not great; thus, maybe, folks interested
in gettin' 990 layout/ or pcb's will ask JH about this?

(I gonna advertise anyway another party of pcb's, so, putting here
another 50 pcb's is not a problem; but I don't want to make
great benefit (and really, it seems headache:)
from "marketing them" to lab folks.
But if it is OK with legal stuff, why not? :wink:

[quote author="Moby"]Hmmm, about layout, i can't see any problem with sharing between lab members. Are we here from some other reason, then to learn and help each other :thumb:[/quote]

The pproblem with "helping" is..its not helping if it an original non public.circuit, layout, pcb etc...its called stealing from where I´m from..learning is if you do the layout, pcb..etc yourself..based on a public "free" circuit etc..

Kind regards

Peter

[quote author="ijr"]BTW, if it does not cross with legal stuff,(990 is public),
layout...why not:))
Frank help me with Sprint-Layout and all Deutch work on comp.silkscrreen.
Anyway, there will be some spare pcb's from next time I'll advertise pcb's.
Huh... e'nuff english for me...gonna slleep :cool:[/quote]

If it does not cross an illegal borderline..I for one does not see any problems with it..I´d say go for it..;-)

Kind regards

Peter

its called stealing from where I´m from.
Ok, im not "from"
so, i dont look that way. Stealing for me means when you STEAL something from somebody. Please, dont be confused when i say that i dont see nothing wrong with sharing PCB layouts. I kindly asked, man answered and thats the end. I mentioned in first post that i would like to have layout for inspiration and i meaned same. Of course i will design my own layout and will share with all LAB members. You can steal it if you like :wink: Relax and be coooooooooool, StealMan

Hi Moby, heatsinks, heatsinks:)))
This forum is...another great place for sharing stealed resourses
(halfway), let's call things by theirs names, if you ripoff something
like 1176 or la2 or 1272 or mixbus... :wink: it is stealing.
but I look on this stuff from POW like no matter WHAT you do,
matter reason WHY you do it.
Learn-OK; saving time with thermal problems on pcb of public circuit-OK;
footmade crappy "neve's" or g1176 for sale NO.
But, if you can do say same la2 better than original
and provide better quality of work and sell it for
_not less_ price for customer with warranty& etc,
it is not ripoff. Go for it. This is gentleman's way of stealing. :grin: :grin:

Its ok, i just dont see reason for hard words here :grin: Im glad you understand and no probs :green: Wish you luck in upgrading sound with fine 990 opamps. BTW im not selling im using all that nice toys :thumb:

990c, that's it :grin:
It can be found at Jensen's website.
Or here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/IJR/Jensen_990C_schematic.jpg

igor, dont get me wrong..... :grin:

@ mich: Israeli way to do things is first ask people, then find out
you anyway had answer inside of one of books on the shelf
i have no "book on the shelf" here (spain) that tells me where to get transformers for audio apllications in israel...so....
just nostalgia....im having such a hard time scoring parts here in spain
so i think:if u tell me u are doing better (transformers & other exotic stuff) finding these,maybe i should consider going back......

u are right though about israeli way of doing things.... :wink:

be cool.....

Add this lot to your diary of useless information!

The Jensen 990c is/was? covered by US patent # 4,287,479:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=NOT&d=ptxt&s1=4,287,479.WKU.&OS=PN/4,287,479&RS=PN/4,287,479

How long does patent protection last?
For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the payment of appropriate maintenance fees. Design patents last 14 years from the date you are granted the patent. Note: Patents in force on June 8 and patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995 automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.

What is patent infringement?
A patent is a legal document that allows the owner to prevent other people from making, using, selling or importing an invention that is covered by the patent. Patents have legal language, called "claims" that are similar to the metes and bounds of a property line. A patent infringement lawsuit is a lawsuit where a patent holder claims that another party is making, using, selling or importing the patent holder's invention, in violation of the patent.

What Is a Copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished. The 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work, to perform the copyrighted work publicly, or to display the copyrighted work publicly.
The copyright protects the form of expression rather than the subject matter of the writing. For example, a description of a machine could be copyrighted, but this would only prevent others from copying the description; it would not prevent others from writing a description of their own or from making and using the machine. Copyrights are registered by the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress.

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after Jan. 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

And lastly from the US Copyright FAQ sheets!! Legit!

How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a Form VA application and the $30 filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

Regards,
Tom

[quote author="Moby"]
its called stealing from where I´m from.
Ok, im not "from"
so, i dont look that way. Stealing for me means when you STEAL something from somebody. Please, dont be confused when i say that i dont see nothing wrong with sharing PCB layouts. I kindly asked, man answered and thats the end. I mentioned in first post that i would like to have layout for inspiration and i meaned same. Of course i will design my own layout and will share with all LAB members. You can steal it if you like :wink: Relax and be coooooooooool, StealMan[/quote]

Hey As I said if you got a yes from the owner..then noo problem..soo take it eazy bro´ ;-) I was merely poiting out that..it would be a "nice thing" to do..didnt say othervice did I..??? :grin:

I´m just one of the few who likes this place and I rather not see it being closed down because of some unlegal "no problemo" undercover sharing for the meaning of "learning" ;-) if you get my drift ??? :wink:

I was not attacking you at all...btw "sharing PCB layouts" without the original owners permission Hmmm you do not call that eerm stealing ??? You would be a first *S* :razz:

And dont you worry I wont steal your pcb layout..I´m not into cloning..I like to do my "own thing" :green:

Kind regards

Peter

Deane Jensen made the 990 public domain. It was supposed to help sell Jensen iron, and also there were some personal issues involved in patenting it, which are a bit heavy to get into.

I'm not sure that John Hardy's improvements are necessarily also public domain. If the circuit is available from Jensen, they likely are, but if commercial use is intended, it would be best to ask first.

Bear

Back