A decent steampunk guitar amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

http://steampunk22.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/steampunk-amp-the-advanced-resonant-sound-transducer-completed/

I can imagine this one actually sounding pretty good with the right driver. It looks nice, anyway.

Now you need at least something like this:
http://steampunkworkshop.com/steampunk-strat.shtml

Hey thanks man, I'm actually the guy that made it!

I made a steampunk electric lap steel guitar and wanted an amp to match it. Its based on a Fender Frontman 15G, which is just a tiny little practice amp with an 8" 8ohm speaker. It was built for an upcoming art show, and as sort of a trial run for rebuilding/rehousing future projects in a similar way.

Amp:
img_2787-e1273346133347.jpg

img_2782-e1273346633853.jpg

Lap steel:
img_0199-e1268713438927.jpg

img_0180-e1268711771103.jpg

Anyways, thanks for checking out my work!

So how does it sound? Any chance you could record some clips?

I put a question mark on the topic because some folks around here are highly, ahem, dismissive of anything done for more artistic reasons. Personally, I think it's pretty cool, but there is a point to be made about "but how does it sound?"

On my blog there is a downloadable MP3 file of the lap steel.

http://mp3upload.ca/download/25093/steampunk_slide.mp3

The sample is recorded with garageband, via my macbook speakers, so its not totally representative of the sound of the guitar, but its close-ish. Also, I don't really play anything in particular in the sample, I just run through a few slides and test out the harmonics for fret marker accuracy. Make some noise.

I don't have any audio samples of the amp yet, although i will post some on my blog in a few days. Its only a 15W practice amp, so, kind of lacking in the low end a bit, but overall sounds pretty decent. I first tested the audio playback via RCA inputs with my iPhone and the playback was pretty good. Older tunes that are lifted from LP's and crackle and hiss are very fitting.

Anyways, I will try and get an audio sample up here soon of me actually playing an electric guitar through it.

Oh beautiful stuff...Steampunk, Dieselpunk, yeeha.

I like it that a lot gets etched ;D When I first went to designing the SSL it was meant to be cogwheels
but it kinda drifted to a more fifties-style thing. The upper layer where the switch numbers sit is still
called "cogwheels" in Illustrator...

Thanks a lot you guys!

Yeah the threaded nut works real well, so long as the instrument you are building has a high enough string tension. For instance, my lap steel would probably not function well in a Drop C tuning as the angle that the strings break over the nut is not really great enough to support such a low tension tuning.

Very fun to make though. The next amp rebuild is going to be much more dramatic!

look at the speaker in the link
http://www.thereminworld.com/clara_spot.asp

Is there any type of enclosure behind the driver?  A free-standing speaker is not going to sound very good, above very low volumes.  Even a Silvertone has some sort of homosote box around most of it.  It looks ahh-mawvelous, but does it have any kind of desirable sound?
Mike

No enclosure on this build. I had a few things in mind that simply didn't work out this time around, but this build essentially served as my hands on prototype for future amp rebuilds. What to do, what not to do, etc.

Overall the sound is pretty good though. Its by no means a high quality amplifier to begin with, just a little practice amp. A sort of low-fi tinny sound is almost a preferable result for me personally. ;P

I am going to revisit the idea of enclosing it, although it will still be quite minimal, on the next build in all likelihood.

Cheers!

You can punk a brass horn thing from an old instrument or hexagonally yourself, and line it with Dynamat to lower the resonance.  Mmmm.  Dynamat.
Really looks cool along with the git.
Mike

@ sonolink ... get a squire and give it absolutely no respect IOW, mod a "hello kitty" into a "fu**in muffin"

@ steampunk22: I noticed there are no steampunk guitar cables.

> any type of enclosure behind the driver?  A free-standing speaker is not going to sound very good, above very low volumes.

A hi-fi woofer WILL flap at high power.

The typical guitar speaker, on guitar, will not flap even near its maximum power.

> Even a Silvertone has some sort of homosote box

Yes, in conventional speaker design, the optimum box is bigger than the optimum cone.

Also in Marketing, you want a big box to justify a high price tag (and to hide your undersized speakers).

For authoritative guitar-boom in an open-back baffle you want two 12" in a 30" wide box on the floor. Fender Twin. With floor-reflection and sides, roughly a 40"x40" baffle. This will support a wave down below 160Hz; the bottom octave is bumped by the under-damped ~~90Hz cone resonance.

The near-naked 8"(?) will fall below 800Hz. But much slower fall than an optimized resonant-box speaker.... 400Hz and even 200Hz will be audible if you lean on them. And you can make a LOT of "music" above 250Hz..... sopranos and most tenors have little below 250Hz.

OTOH, if steampunk22 goes to a show where real ballz are needed, he can jack-out to a 2-12" or 8-10" cabinet, leaving the open 8" as decoration or a spot-monitor. Even the little 15G will boogie with a large-area speaker.

> punk a brass horn

Visually gorgeous. But a horn with ballz has to be BIG. Something in the 8" scale, even something scaled 24" like a large-room Victrola, won't go as deep as a cone in a smaller box.

> does it have any kind of desirable sound?

An amazing variety of sounds can be "desirable" on different guitar works. I recall a company who used reject trombone bells and reject PA horn drivers to sell a speaker which made "any guitar sound like a trumpet!!". I guess it never caught on, but someone thought it was worth the trouble to bring to market.

Great looking lap. The spacing between the strings look odd. Is that deliberate?

What type of bar do you use?

I have not played electric lap properly but I intend to get one in th near future. Though I play a resonator. 

Back