A Graph-Over? and other ridiculous stuff...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagekraft

Hey All,

Well I got this little sound system, I use for rentals (or when I get together my equally old friends for a jam).

Started out as a couple tripod mounted speakers (passive 15" and a horn).

Then I added a pair of 18" subs, with the aforementioned top-boxes pole mounted above...

I dug out a "sub-woofer crossover" that I had built many years ago (based on a design I found in a late 70's "Audio Amateur" magazine),
but that was strictly a low pass filter...so the top boxes were still expected to go way down there...

Just for funnsies, I fed my stereo mains processor a mono signal to both inputs, then set the left graphic to emulate a low pass out to the sub,and the right graphic to emulate a high pass to the top box...worked "pretty-ok"

Now I'm thinking, I should just use a 4th order crossover between the two, and while I have a crossover available, I have no more
room in my rack to shove it in...

so I'm thinking of building a two-way in more of a bud-box to be mounted in the back of my rack, should be a pretty much "set it an forget it deal".

easy enough to build a fixed 24db Linkwitz-Riley crossover, but a variable takes a 4-ganged pot..

somewhere in my old memories, I recall a modification to the 4th order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (I'm thinking the Rane Corp in the 80's),
that came up with a way to do this with just a dual ganged pot...

Anybody out there got info on that??

JohnR

Back