AC701

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tao

I want to replace the ac701 tube for my 251, but these two make it difficult for me to choose.I don’t know what the difference is between these two versions.

Attachments

• 微信图片_20230919091052.jpg
    微信图片_20230919091052.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_20230919091052_1.jpg
    微信图片_20230919091052_1.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_20230919091053.jpg
    微信图片_20230919091053.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_20230919091055.jpg
    微信图片_20230919091055.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The k indicates a build designed for lower microphonics.

The one without the k may be the same low microphonic build type as the k, if it was made in the later part if AC701 manufacture.

The k indicates a build designed for lower microphonics.

The one without the k may be the same low microphonic build type as the k, if it was made in the later part if AC701 manufacture.
I read a lot of information on the Internet, and there is too little information about 701. These two models should be versions with K, but I cannot be sure about this blue dot 701.

Keep in mind that the whole production of AC701 tubes from the Telefunken tube factory in Ulm went straight to Neumann, where they tested the tubes for noise and microphony. The rejects went back to Telefunken and were sold. So even if you can find an AC701 today ('New Old Stock'), there is a chance that it is a reject from Neumann...
Just sayin'...

Also I know a (first hand) story of an other German microphone manufacturer who had aquired a large number of AC701 tubes.
"What are you going to do with the tubes that are not good?"
"Sell them!" :)

Also I know a (first hand) story of an other German microphone manufacturer who had aquired a large number of AC701 tubes.
I would do the same, there were/are numerous applications where this excellent tube can do a top job, even if it is not good enough for a microphone. The application as an impedance converter in a microphone is very special.

The question is rather whether one communicates this also to the potential buyer...:devilish:

"Let the buyer beware..."
I think you should specify that as a seller. The problem is that these 2nd choice tubes are resold several times over the years and suddenly they are 1st choice again ;-)

With such high-priced tubes I would buy anyway only from well known sources with appropriate test equipment. (...or replace with similar types and save a lot of money).

For the sake of complete accuracy, the M49-V (which is a "re-issue") does not use an AC701K or an AC701. You can be certain of this due to the fact that it's heater voltage is 6.3V, which would immediately end the life of an AC701 (either K or not K). Interestingly, the Neumann supply that is sold with the M49-V is designed to sense and adapt the heater voltage to 4V if an AC701 is wired into the microphone. I'm sure that means they knew that some folks wouldn't sleep at night unless they knew their M49-V had a vintage 701 in it. Klause Heyne has a very comprehensive article on the M49-V if you're interested. It cam be found at:
https://germanmasterworks.com/publi...nn-M49V:-Complete-Tear-Down-and-Analysis.html

M49V PSU uses a current regulator on the filament (many late 20th century and recent PSUs do this). That way, the psu will work with a host of different tubes which all draw about the same range of current (even though the voltages are different). AKG did this with a few mics, others have and do as well.

In this confusing world noise is character instead. So now the noisy ones are expensive. Not a dealbreaker.

Keep in mind that the whole production of AC701 tubes from the Telefunken tube factory in Ulm went straight to Neumann, where they tested the tubes for noise and microphony. The rejects went back to Telefunken and were sold. So even if you can find an AC701 today ('New Old Stock'), there is a chance that it is a reject from Neumann...
Just sayin'...

No Way they tested every ac701 from the factory ,maybe simple emission test yes,but for noise/microphonics and burning in it would took too much time(testing now 8pcs ac701 so I know:)

No Way they tested every ac701 from the factory ,maybe simple emission test yes,but for noise/microphonics and burning in it would took too much time(testing now 8pcs ac701 so I know:)
I was told by Klause Heyne that the production of AC701s went on longer than the period in which they all went to Neumann. I acquired an AC701 (non "K" model) from him and it tests very well. My suggestion is that you deal with tube suppliers that will let you return the tube if it does not meet your expectations.

I was told by Klause Heyne that the production of AC701s went on longer than the period in which they all went to Neumann. I acquired an AC701 (non "K" model) from him and it tests very well. My suggestion is that you deal with tube suppliers that will let you return the tube if it does not meet your expectations.
We source the tubes and I test everything,so no issues usually,these are just arrived:

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_164904.jpg
    IMG_20230921_164904.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 0
Just sayin'...

I don’t think this is true at all, because other companies used AC701 for their products.

Do you think that AC701 used in AKG mics were rejects from Neumann? Schoeps? I think the source of your info is questionable on this one.

It sounds a lot like the VF14 story, warped through a game of telephone.

There’s something about the 6s6b-v in Neumann’s M49-V that sounds a very little bit aggravating. It doesn’t quite yield the same smooth sounding result as the originals. Maybe it’s some other aspect apart from the tube choice, to be fair. Though I feel a bit similarly about the FLEA mics that use the tube.

Il y a quelque chose à propos du 6s6b-v dans le M49-V de Neumann qui semble un peu agaçant. Il ne donne pas tout à fait le même résultat sonore que les originaux. C'est peut-être un autre aspect que le choix du tube, pour être honnête. Bien que je ressens un peu la même chose à propos des micros FLEA qui utilisent le tube.
Imho, the most probable reason is the capsules...
Flea has its own sound and doesn't sounds like a good original vintage Neumann capsule, and even with actual Neumann production, the quality can (sadly) be hazardous ...

There’s something about the 6s6b-v in Neumann’s M49-V that sounds a very little bit aggravating. It doesn’t quite yield the same smooth sounding result as the originals. Maybe it’s some other aspect apart from the tube choice, to be fair. Though I feel a bit similarly about the FLEA mics that use the tube.
So is it confirmed in the end it's 6s6b-v?

Back