Who has the best DIY C12/251 Microphone. Circuit Cards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m112

Wondering who has the best C12/251 circuit cards. I have three Tim Campbell Capsules. Just starting to source cards for my Microphone Builds. The 251 Body on Aliexpress looks nice. Anyone know if its close to the original in size?

Moby T14/1, a good tube and a good body/headbasket and you'll have three of the best mics you'll ever hear. I recommend a pair of C12 and a single 251. If you can afford it, go with a 6072 GE 5 star from a reputable source (I used Bowie). Or just go with a decent 12AT7 and upgrade later if you feel it's necessary.

Both Dany (link above) and Matador (via Studio 939 / Chunger) have great boards for both projects.

Moby T14/1, a good tube and a good body/headbasket and you'll have three of the best mics you'll ever hear. I recommend a pair of C12 and a single 251. If you can afford it, go with a 6072 GE 5 star from a reputable source (I used Bowie). Or just go with a decent 12AT7 and upgrade later if you feel it's necessary.

Both Dany (link above) and Matador (via Studio 939 / Chunger) have great boards for both projects.
Curious why Moby over AMI or CineMag? No personal point of reference yet, just looking for perspective, cheers.

Curious why Moby over AMI or CineMag? No personal point of reference yet, just looking for perspective, cheers.
AFAIK Moby has spent a lot of time getting his tranformers as close to the original specs as possible, including the metal alloys. He's also been very transparent about the whole process on this forum. That and the all round favorable reviews they get makes them my first choice as well.

And +1 for the Studio939/Chunger boards (which I discovered just yesterday.) If I knew then what I know now I would've gotten me one of those instead of my micparts V251 kit. (which now holds a Moby T14/1 and a GE5* from Bowie/Christian Whitmore - only thing missing is a good CK12!)

AFAIK Moby has spent a lot of time getting his tranformers as close to the original specs as possible, including the metal alloys. He's also been very transparent about the whole process on this forum. That and the all round favorable reviews they get makes them my first choice as well.

And +1 for the Studio939/Chunger boards (which I discovered just yesterday.) If I knew then what I know now I would've gotten me one of those instead of my micparts V251 kit. (which now holds a Moby T14/1 and a GE5* from Bowie/Christian Whitmore - only thing missing is a good CK12!)
Well damn, the reason I found this forum was piqued curiosity from Micparts 251-LE build taking me down the rabbit hole. I would’ve also gone a separate way now…but I am thinking of a Moby trafo and Arienne capsule in it…

I have not tried AMI or Cinemag, but I have this "little animal" T14/1 from MOBY.
I really like its sound.
In addition, it is T14 / 1, which is used in most 12/251.
T14 AMI is not exactly the same.

I was away and missed this. AMI makes great transformers and Cinemag makes very good transformers for the price. My personal opinion, is that Moby's transformers are just a notch above. I've only compared Moby's T14/1 to AMI's, Moby's BV.11 to AMI's BV11r (BV11r is a modified version, so not exactly a fair comparison), and Moby's BV.12 to ioaudio's BV.12. I picked Moby's iron in each comparison.

To be clear, no measurements, all by ear. And they worked for me personally.

I was away and missed this. AMI makes great transformers and Cinemag makes very good transformers for the price. My personal opinion, is that Moby's transformers are just a notch above. I've only compared Moby's T14/1 to AMI's, Moby's BV.11 to AMI's BV11r (BV11r is a modified version, so not exactly a fair comparison), and Moby's BV.12 to ioaudio's BV.12. I picked Moby's iron in each comparison.

To be clear, no measurements, all by ear. And they worked for me personally.
Cool, I appreciate your thoughts!

Wondering who has the best C12/251 circuit cards. I have three Tim Campbell Capsules. Just starting to source cards for my Microphone Builds. The 251 Body on Aliexpress looks nice. Anyone know if its close to the original in size?
It’s too small in length but if you look at the page on here there are work arounds by Herbert.

Looking pretty tight considering there's 120V between various circuit nodes...
Looks really tight for the 120V but if it works permanently then everything is good. Your self-etched PCB also seems to have larger gaps, or am I wrong?I would always have a slightly uneasy feeling, but I'm also a chicken about such things. I am a member of the team "better safe than sorry";)

Latest posts

Back