adding omni switch to modded microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmartin831

I have the old 1990's Rode NT1 microphone and I recently modded it by swapping out the single diaphragm k67/87 type capsule with a chinese dual diaphragm k47 type capsule. Overall the sound quality has improved significantly since it no longer has the searing high end presence peak at 12khz.

Now I am looking into modifying the mic further by adding a switch to allow me to switch between cardioid and omni pickup patterns since it now has a dual diaphragm capsule. I know how to wire the switch properly using an SPDT on/on switch, and I would like to drill a hole through the indented circle in the picture below so that I won't have to open up the mic every time I want to change the pickup pattern. Has anyone tried a mod like this? I would appreciate advice if you have any tips, or feel free to let me know if this is a terrible idea

Attachments

• nt1.png
    nt1.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
pucho812 said:
there is more to what your asking to do then just a simple installing a switch.

Care to elaborate? I thought the Omni pickup pattern was simply a short between the front and rear diaphragms. What else would need to be done to make this mod possible?

That circuit is operating at extremely high impedance. So you need a switch with extremely good leakage figures. Most bog standard switches will not be good enough. If you put in the wrong switch, the mike will stop working properly.

..lots of cheap and half-cheap microphones gets away with using cheap standard switches for this kind of purpose. Yes, there are potential problems, but solving them (reverting to cardioid-only) would be as easy as cutting the wires to the switch.

For a "real" solution, you could use a reed switch (glass tube), activated by a magnet. Maybe even from the outside?

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back