Adding RAM

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

I'm adding 32gb of RAM to my studio computer, I have 32 installed already... I have been told that its best to buy it all at once to ensure stability, but buying 64gb and selling my old 32 is a pain, and seems really overkill, however this computers stability is important to my income.

The RAM in the computer now is about 2.5 years old, the MOBO is an ASUS Sabertooth X79.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Don't sell your original 32GB until you've tested the new 64 arrangement. Why do you need that much ram? Are you doing a lot of plugin-intensive work?

I used to think upgrading to "new" was always better until I finally figured out this great saying, "if it ain't broke..."

I'm working with some fairly large track count sessions with high plugin count, lots of parallel processing, and multi buss mixing... I use some outboard gear in mixing but mostly plugins... I'm on PT Native, hopefully someday I'll make the switch to HDX, but for now, ram is cheap....

I've mixed odd ram sticks with success on older architectures, I don't know here but shouldn't be such big problem, I wouldn't worry too much if you can get the same model as you got, but that is sometimes quite tricky so much time after...

Having better understanding of resources while mixing is very important. A friend run out of ram in my 16GB setup with a 3' single track session, no plugins, no nothing. Was quite funny of see that when I got back home, I grabbed the session and cut down it to run within MBs. He was doing a remix using a single long track pasted 1000 times, cutting and generating various short archives (small local bounces) solved the problem.

It's true that sometimes you just need the resources to get what your are looking for, for me 16GB is enough so far, but I had used all the processing power on the i7 4770k, but I still can squeeze some more just getting a decent cooler.

JS

Seeker said:
I'm adding 32gb of RAM to my studio computer, I have 32 installed already... I have been told that its best to buy it all at once to ensure stability,

Nahhh, as long as you get your memory from a reputable vendor (I always use Crucial, who are Micron), you're fine.

Well I guess you guys have had more luck getting generic ram to work. I've had lots of problems unless I've used the exact ram specified for the boards I was using.

Phrazemaster said:
Well I guess you guys have had more luck getting generic ram to work. I've had lots of problems unless I've used the exact ram specified for the boards I was using.

Never got in trouble, usually Kingston here... but I've been working recently with a 4 stick setup with two different generic sets, AM3 FX2 system, no memory related troubles.

JS

Phrazemaster said:

Crucial aren't "generic," and their web site walks you through selection so you get the memory designed for your motherboard.

Andy Peters said:
Crucial aren't "generic," and their web site walks you through selection so you get the memory designed for your motherboard.
Yeah I get your point, and I've used those kinds of tools. All the same my experience hasn't always worked out well despite what you say. I'm also a computer guy. Do what works for you.

In reality, any quality ram with the right specs will work fine. But to be be safe you can just buy another 32gb of the same make model you already have. Do you have the empty slots for it?

I can't imagine though needing 64g for audio work.

Thanks for the input guys...  As it turns out, it was not so easy to find my specific ram new,  so I went with a 64gb kit.

I do use an obscene amount of processing... what can I say?  I'm a plugin whore... :eek: I tend to use more plugins doing less work and I find that works well for me.  There are some things I can do to lighten the load, but I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting and ram is cheap.

My system usage monitor tells me that I use far more ram than processing power, so a ram upgrade is an easy, cheap way to get the most out of my current setup. 

Interesting. I would think plugins would be more CPU intensive, and large amounts of samples would be what uses ram.

I get by on a 5 year old PC and 8gb  :D

Back