Advice for a career in Electronics Engineering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeromeMason

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but there are a lot of people that seem to be in this career field on here and I wanted to get some advice.

I've been an audio engineer for over 10 years, developed a pretty good career at it, but I want something more and building gear and the idea of knowing the theory beyond the parts is fascinating to me. I want to be able to design a circuit and build my own gear, maybe even possibly have this as a career to fall back on if the mixing/recording side keeps sinking lower and lower. I absolutely love building electronics, always have since I was a little kid.

But like I said I want to take it a step further and go back to school and get a degree in Electrical Engineering. What I'd like to know is if some of you that are in this field could give me advice on what type of degree to go after. Do I need a 4 year degree, should I go to a technical institute, can I just get by with an associates, what type of degree/courses are going to prepare and teach me how to build audio and other types of equipment. I just want to know what would be the best and most efficient way, cost and time wise to get to the point that I can build the equipment I want to build.

I've already started the process to enroll in a 2 year program at my local college, and after the two years transfer to a larger university to finish out the bachelors degree. Is this a good idea? Am I on the right path? Is it worth it? I want to be able to provide for my family and the production/mixing side of the business just keeps getting slimmer, but it seems like this side of the business is doing really well because more and more people are buying gear to do it on their own, so I think long term, this is going to be more secure for me, while allowing me to be able to continue the production/mixing side of the business.

So any advice from all of you would be so greatly appreciated and I really hope to hear some of your thoughts. I want to go about this the absolute right way, no cutting corners, and I've got such a passion for it, I just need advice.

Thanks everyone!

Jerome Mason

If you want to design and stand a reasonable chance of being employed then a bachelors degree is a must.

Depending on where you live, degrees from some universities will be seen as better than others. Some years ago here in the UK, a number of Technical Colleges were granted University status. Rightly or wrongly, employers rate degrees from these as being lesser than ones from the older 'red brick' universities.

Cheers

Ian

JeromeMason said:
I just want to know what would be the best and most efficient way, cost and time wise to get to the point that I can build the equipment I want to build.
In that respect I would say that it is essential that you have a full grasp of all aspects of analog signal transmission. PCB layout requires a crucial understanding of signal path intricacies, even more so in digital gear. In the 35+ years I have designed audio products, I never had to use deep mathematical knowledge, nor having to use the transistors h parameters, though having been schooled about them did surely help in understanding and troubleshooting. Filter theory is essential IMO, and you cannot neglect the fact that almost every piece of hardware can benefit from some digital/microprocessor help.
I want to be able to provide for my family and the production/mixing side of the business just keeps getting slimmer, but it seems like this side of the business is doing really well because more and more people are buying gear to do it on their own, so I think long term, this is going to be more secure for me, while allowing me to be able to continue the production/mixing side of the business.
That's where it becomes tricky, because employers will care about diplomas and will probably expect some knowledge of digital design and programming. You have to find the right combination of personal fulfillment and business attractivity.
As an employer, I'm not impressed with less than a 4-year programme. There is a plethora of brilliant engineers on the market. You'll have to promote the other competences you have developped on your own.

I would say that the EE fundamentals are key:  KCL, KVL, filters, Laplace... A good fundamental grounding (pun intended) in theory informs your later gut feelings about circuit action and how to troubleshoot problems later.

I think the days of pure analog circuit design are long gone:  aside from the others information above, I would recommend not simply focusing on circuit design:  nowadays, you need to be just as comfortable discussing and dealing with Computer Science principles along with circuit design.  Basic computer architecture, instruction sets, operating system fundamentals, etc.  I can almost guarantee that your first commercial project will involve a microprocessor, so make sure you have basic CS principles in your arsenal.

This is the path I took:  I got a BS degree in Electrical Engineering and a BS degree in Computer Science, then went back for a Masters in Electrical Engineering and I'm now in the midst of a PhD in Computer Science (because yes, I hate life this much!).  But being comfortable in both HW and SW has served my career very well.  My first job was as an "IC analog circuit designer", and I spent 50% of my time writing and adjusting HSPICE simulation modules (in C) and doing Verilog integration (essentially C again!).  :D

I am an old school analog guy,  but ignore digital at your own risk.

There will always be analog glue and support around digital designs, but IMO the future is predominantly digital.

JR

This is exactly what I am doing.  I have been mixing for close to 20 years, and have been doing service and repair for a little over 10 years.  To better provide for my family, (and hopefully get my weekends back), I have returned to school to pursue an EE degree.  I am attending the University of Utah, and the program seems excellent.  I hope to stay in audio design, but you never know where life will lead you.

Good luck on your journey!

Back