Advice on recapping my Pye Compressors ++++++ EDIT ++++ linking help required!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Hi Guys,

I just opened up one of my Pye compressors to try to work out how to link 'em for stereo. However, I find a much more pressing matter. Some of the Electrolytics are spewing up their guts all over the place. They are Blue Phillips ones. Surprisingly, it seems to be working perfectly!

So I've just made a list of all the Electrolytics, and I find some unusual( for nowadays!) values. I am assuming that the nearest value greater is ok, yes? I have posted a link to some Pye documents here.

http://www.evestudios.co.uk/#/library/4535530416

Fortunately, the Schematic at the end is the same as my units, - at least the capacitors numbers are! Could any of you worthy gentlemen tell me if I am in danger of making a mess by, say, substituting a 220uF for a 125uF as the next available size? At nearly double the value, it fills me with dread . . . Are there any caps I should replicate by paralleling to exact value? Also, does anyone recommend a particular brand of Axial cap to replace the venerable Phillips ones? I do not much subscribe to AudioCapFoolery, so as long as they are reliable, compact, and don't actually sound crap . . . .

Any help/advice would be most appreciated, since I can neither afford to be without my Pyes for one second( they are vital to every track I am working on!), nor to risk a component failure at the coalface . . . !

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Hi Andy,
I would get those "puffy" screwed up caps out of there PRONTO !!
Doubling the values seems a little dangerous, depending on if they are part of the PSU
or in the Audio path.
Larger for PSU = fine
For any Audio parts, personally I would try to get as close as possible and parallel some up for that purpose.
Mid priced Panasonics always seem fine to me, no point in x 10 the price of the original "cheap" caps eh ??
Look after those beauties :)
Cheers,
MM.

I think the blue Vishay caps from Farnell are the same caps.
Think they bought the Phillips capacitor production section or someink....
do they look like these?

EDIT:
150uf
http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-bc-components/mal203136151e3/capacitor-150uf-25v/dp/1165424

Hi Tv,

not so far! I could easily parallel 100uF and 22uF, but it will be well nigh impossible to fit two 63v ones where a single 4v one was before . . . It is an issue of size as well. I know modern caps are much smaller than in 1970, but . . . . ! I am scanning RS, FARNELL etc at the 'mo, so I am sure I will eventually. I guess my question does reflect both my ignorance and my laziness . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

http://uk.farnell.com/sanyo/6sa150m/capacitor-150uf-6-3v/dp/9189688

maybe?

Hi Andy,

Could you list the components numbers which you don't have exact matches for? I'm too lazy to look through all the values.

Hi Roddy,

Actually I am going to "Double-Up-Debs" to make a more appropriate value. Or use Radials. There is plenty of room inside the case. even if the space on the circuit board is a tad small. Who cares what it looks like, anyhow? No-one's been in there for 37 years as far as I can see!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Hi,

Just replaced the most serious offenders. Double-up-debs is a fine approach. I had not realised how much smaller modern caps are! Stands to reason, I guess.

I linked the two points necessary to stereolink the pair. - Nothin' doin'! Has anyone any experience with this?

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Back