AES/EBU wiring?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hi Guys,

I need to make up a couple AES/EBU cables and have a bunch of Mogami W3080 cable and am confused as to how to wire it?

My understanding is that the pin out follows that of a standard XLR, I.E Pin 2 Hot, Pin 3 Cold, Pin 1 Shield and the cable is 110 Ohms. Is that correct?

If so why the added 'shield/screen' and does that get tied to pin 1 with the standard copper shield? You can see it here:

w3080.gif

I've tried searching Google for AES/EBU Pinout and all i get is the pin out for DB25 connectors.... go figure!

Thanks in advance.

Matt

FWIW, can't help thinking that the wiring is identical to mic-cables. Has at least worked for me like that: using 'digital-intended' cables for mic when nothing else was around.
Details may & probably will differ, so indeed, when making one from scratch you may want to do it as intended.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with... a mic-cable :cool:

The copper is the shield. The silver (actually tinned copper) is the drain wire.

Trim off the copper, and solder to the drain wire as the third connector for your shield connection.

DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT use the copper as the connection. -It is thinner stranded, for improved flexibility over the length of the cable, but if you 'twist and solder, it tends to break easily, and therefore leads to stray strands bridging and shorting.

Treat the copper as if it were a foil shield. Trim back the copper (shield), and make the connection to the drain wire, which is uninsulated and there to make overall connectivity to the 'braid' (actually a lap, not a braid) shield for you, but with stronger, thicker strands, for a more reliable connection.

Keith

AES pinouts on the XLR side are identical to that of a mic cable with a hot a cold and a ground. XLR on both ends just like a mic cable except 110 ohm wire. Depending on length needed in a pinch one could use a regular mic cable in place of the AES cable for the aes connection.

Some guys who are lazy will not trim the copper but instead solder it with the drain wire to pin one. :mad: I find that it not only looks ugly it tends to break more often.

Are you soldering the other end to a d-sub connector if so, Then the pinout is different then the standard tascam analog audio pinout. and there are 2 standards for this. One was used by Tascam and the other by Yamaha. IIRC the Tascam AES Version became more often used much like their analog D-sub.

Here are the different digial pinouts.

www.aviom.com/library/Technical-Resources/75_DB25-Pinout-Information.pdf

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the heads up! You learn something new everyday, and around this place even more! Looking forward to making my trusty new AES/EBU Cables :thumb:

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="guy_4"]I used shielded CAT5.[/quote]

CAT5 is excellent for AES/EBU. You can run that stuff amazingly far before degradation.

[quote author="guy_4"]Hello,
For digital signals wiring on 25pin Sub-D, I used shielded CAT5.
Worked great, and cheap too :grin:
Guy[/quote]

Interesting. how are you wiring that up. C at 5 gets 8 conductors... so are you leaving 2 of then out and using each cat 5 to hold 2 balanced connections?

Pucho...

FOUR pairs in a cat-5, and he did say shielded, so there's your "third-wire" for each pair.

4x AES/EBU pairs can happily travel along a single shielded CAT-5 cable.

Keith

Welcome in France, Keith and family !
But do not forget your wallet, cost of life here has increased A LOT in the last months. :sad:
Fortunalely, this country is still beautiful :grin:
Guy

Back