Correct Yamaha AES/EBU Dsub/DB25 pinout for Lynx Aurora 8 Interface?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I am trying to create a Yamaha Digital cable loom, but I am confused as to how exactly are the ground wired on the Dsub connector.

One site, claims to tie all ground and solder to the metal casing of the D-sub connector. Some ground is joined to different groups?
Does it matter which dual core ground goes to which ground pin?

Which of these diagrams would be the correct wiring for a Yamaha AES/EBU Digital cable for a Lynx Aurora 8 interface?
A)
pinout_yamaha_digital.png
B)
RH-DB25-XLR-SR-YAM-3m.jpg
C)

Tascam-yamaha-pinout.png
D)
yamahaDigitalCablePinout.jpg

Thank you.

Also, the multicore cable I used is 8 channel twisted pair OFC conductor multicore microphone cable, wrapped with a spiral wrapped copper ground wire and outer aluminium foil shield, then encased in a PE jacket. All channels are then bound inside a tough black outer PVC jacket.

I am presuming this likely to be 75ohms and I am using 4 meters for my loom. Would this be an issue not being 110 ohms, as I have been able to use mic cables to run individual AES digital signals with no issues at 5 meter lengths.

I am confused as to how exactly are the ground wired on the Dsub connector.

Are the pairs individually shielded? If so just wire like in the diagram.

claims to tie all ground and solder to the metal casing of the D-sub connector.

That would be a proper shield connection. It relies on the equipment with the D-sub being wired correctly and tying those individual pins marked as "G" directly to the shell and a conductive chassis. If the equipment does that then there should be no difference if you tie the shields to the shell, or if the equipment does just inside the case.

Does it matter which dual core ground goes to which ground pin?

No, it is just to give a convenient connection point if you are breaking out to individual cables (e.g. a D-sub to 8 XLR cable).

Which of these diagrams would be the correct wiring

All of those diagrams show the same pinout, but your wording implies you consider them different. I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. My answer would be "all of the above," (but of course not the Tascam pinout from the picture which contains Tascam and Yamaha pinout, since you asked specifically for a Yamaha cable).

wrapped with a spiral wrapped copper ground wire and outer aluminium foil shield

You can connect the outer shield to the connector shell.

I am presuming this likely to be 75ohms

Not likely, video coax is 75 ohms, twisted pair will usually be in the 80 Ohm to 120 Ohm range. You can get cable specifically labeled as digital cable, it just tightens up the specs a bit and designs specifically to a 110 Ohm target impedance, but it looks just like normal microphone cable, you can't tell just by looking what the specs will be. Will probably be fine for 4m length.

Thanks ccaudle!

A) is different in which two grounds are tied together - 4 in and out together which made me confused.

I ended up following diagram G and it seems to work fine.

Not a fan of the design, so easy to cross the wires over especially the grounds, so I heat shrinked the grounds and placed some electric tape for separation from other wires.

They should have put a note with the diagram that the ground for each core can be hooked up to any of the following pins and that grounds touching does not matter - 10, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24, 25.

I am next.

Going to turn 2 lynx cables into yamaha AES ebu digitl cables.

Yeah so the only thing I see really is that ground for channel 4 in and out are together,

Hi flyweight, I can confirm that the diagram I used worked as I made a 4 meter using 8 way multicore cable. I am using it with a Lynx Aurora 8.

I would suggest labelling them Yamaha, so that you are not confused in the future thinking they are broken when you plug it into a Tascam setup.

Yeah I made it 2. I have 1 lynx Aurora 16 with thunderbolt and a second one connected via AES EBU (yamaha standard) and clock slave.

That requires a cross cable to Inputs and Outputs should be switched on 1 end of the cable.

Now I have 32 channels via Thunderbolt!

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers

Tim

Back