Affordable 12bit DSOs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thats the new amateur standard for DSO it seems. Throw my 8 bit in the bins, I'm ready for 12 bit excitement!. Thank you!

Having a touchscreen on the these scopes is fantastic too, makes use much more intuitive.
Gold, assuming you’re aware of the Quant Asylum sig gen / audio analyser?

Having a touchscreen on the these scopes is fantastic too, makes use much more intuitive.
Gold, assuming you’re aware of the Quant Asylum sig gen / audio analyser?
I looked at the Quant but there are multiple things I don’t like about it. Number one is that it is has a computer interface. Other things like having BNC’s for a balanced connection is kinda weird. As I understand it amplitude sweeps aren’t available. And some more stuff that I can’t recall at the moment.

I picked up the Siglent SDS804x HD O’scope and a Siglent SDG1032x waveform generator. After I bought the Rigol I discovered that the Siglent devices could sync together for bode plot measurements. I have sweep capability with my AP P1 but the display is tiny and difficult to navigate.

I got the scope in yesterday. After a brief conversation with tech support I got them to sync up. There are two USB ports on each device. I got it wrong yesterday.

I’m just starting to learn this setup but initial impressions are very positive. Especially since the scope was $435 and the waveform generator was being blown out at $179. It is quite a capable setup for just over $600. Amazing really.

Attachments

• IMG_3682.jpeg
    IMG_3682.jpeg
    3.4 MB
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    4.2 MB
I looked at the Quant but there are multiple things I don’t like about it. Number one is that it is has a computer interface. Other things like having BNC’s for a balanced connection is kinda weird. As I understand it amplitude sweeps aren’t available. And some more stuff that I can’t recall at the moment.
There is an ASIO driver available now so you can use QA40X devices with many analysis apps, for example REW.

https://github.com/dechamps/ASIO401

For hardware specs the QA403 is on par with the Audio Precision entry level series (APx515B) for one tenth of the price.

There is an ASIO driver available now so you can use QA40X devices with many analysis apps, for example REW.

https://github.com/dechamps/ASIO401

For hardware specs the QA403 is on par with the Audio Precision entry level series (APx515B) for one tenth of the price.
I don't get along with REW very well either. I have the Analog Discovery 2. I like the Waveforms software better than REW but I still don't like a computer interface. I have an AP Portable One. That's great for distortion measurements with a low noise floor. I'm not relying on this scope and sig gen for low level or distortion measurements. Just normal scope stuff with the addition of running sweeps for bode plot frequency measurements. I haven't had a way to easily observe EQ response. The screen on the AP P1 is tiny and hard to navigate. This setup fills in that hole.

If you get on with a computer interface there are many more options like the Analog Discovery2. I just find a computer interface doesn't suit my likes. If it sits on the bench it gets splashed with soldier and chemicals. If it sits on a shelf it's clunky to use. I have a Microsoft Surface tablet on the bench that I have on the AP P1 Analyzer Input for FFT, running the Waveforms software. I also use it for other stuff like having the online manuals for the new stuff handy. Using the touchscreen can be an excersize in frustration though. Even with the capacitive pen pointers it's clunky.

Latest posts

Back