Affordable high voltage connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilya

I'm looking for some reasonably priced connectors that can handle 400-500V DC @ around 0.1-0.2 amps and a low voltage high current feed at the same time as well (say, 12V, 2-3A). Ideally, the connector should have 4-8 pins and need to fit in the 1U enclosure (should not be bigger than Neutrik D connector).
Is anybody aware of this kind of product?

Have you looked at Neutrik Powercon connectors... they are designed for mains power and tens of amps. While only designed for hundreds of volts the breakdown voltage rating is thousands of volts.

JR

Neutrik Powercons are nice, but they don't have enough pins (only 3). I can't find multipin Powercons there.

Sounds like maybe CPC. Go to Mouser, find the standard circular connector category and then find a shell size that supports that voltage. Instead of using one that has some larger pins, you might just use more pins and parallel them for more power. That will probably be cheaper. Although it is somewhat dangerous.

I think I've seen some combo connectors that had two high current and several low current contacts but I don't know if they were 500V.

JR

[edit- some EV charger plugs mix high current and low current contacts but they probably don't fit in 1U rack.. /edit]

Last edited:
7181-nc10fd-lx-b-1.jpg

Neutrik NC10FD-LX-B

looks like only 50V

JR

looks like only 50V
Yeah, basically all Neutrik signal stuff is 50V rated. And while some people here say that Neutriks are fine for powering tube circuits, I'm not comfortable sending hundreds of volts down the 50V rated connector.

..I haven't so far found any that would be rated usable for remote powering of a tube circuit. I guess that's what your'e aiming at?

Do NOT use DSub-9 like groovetubes did. Just don't.
Yes, that's my aim (your first sentence). As for DB9 - I don't know how anybody in his mind can reasonably suggest such solution. How did this go through their engineering quality control and approvement?

Octal sockets and plugs
This is an interesting idea. Are there any plugs that can be mounted on the cable neatly?

For relatively low power (250VDC@100mA and 12V ar 3A plus a dribble of phantom power) I use 6 pin XLR connectors. As other have pointed out the Neutrik ones are only rated to 50V but other manufacturers make higher rated types. For higher power I use 8 pin Speakons so I can double up on pins for high heater currents (10 amps +).

Edit: Some Amphenol 6 pin XLRs are rated for 250VAC and 1.2A. The four pin versions are rated at 1000VAC and 4A.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Amphenol-XLR.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got a bunch of the 7 pin variety shown above ,
I didnt use them yet but quality is good for the price I paid,

I once bought some very nice Amphenol sockets and cable-mount plugs, for the remote power supply connection on a preamp. I just now looked through my Mouser order history to get the part numbers, but it's been so long ago that the order's no longer there.

A quick search revealed they still have them, or at least something very similar here. The datasheet is strictly a mechanical drawing with some materials information and not much else, but I think mine were rated for something like 500V, IIRC. The only visual difference I can remember is that the ones I used had silver plated instead of gold plated contacts.

I used a heart defibrillator lead for the cabling, that had silver-plated copper wires with Teflon insulation. Very well made, eminently durable, and bulletproof reliable, though perhaps a bit morbid....

I'm looking for some reasonably priced connectors that can handle 400-500V DC @ around 0.1-0.2 amps and a low voltage high current feed at the same time as well (say, 12V, 2-3A). Ideally, the connector should have 4-8 pins and need to fit in the 1U enclosure (should not be bigger than Neutrik D connector).
Is anybody aware of this kind of product?

Question that needs to be asked - what do you mean by "reasonably priced" ? If your application can split off to eg "Banana Plugs" then you could simply use 4mm sockets with 26mm spacing.
Or many coaxial cables can easily meet that spec. Suggest a look at Spellmann HV website and associated notes.

As for DB9 - I don't know how anybody in his mind can reasonably suggest such solution. How did this go through their engineering quality control and approvement?
Ampenol DB9 (SM2 series) has a 300Vac and 3A rating, and the 617 series has a 5A rating, and the HTN series has a 600V rating, and RR-HR series has 500Vac rating - so yes it is a reasonable solution if due care is made for other aspects.

Latest posts

Back