AKG C28 info required!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim50hertz

Good evening esteemed friends in the wide world of microphones.
A friend has asked me for information on obtaining cabling for his AKG C28.

Specifically he requires a cable or the correct connectors for mic to PSU and from PSU to XLR to mic pre.

Any info from the group on these? I’m happy to make  cables up for him if we can score the correct connectors.

Pretty much pure unobtainium. There are no other mics, other than the C12,  that use the same connectors.

The mic connectors come up on ebay once in a very blue moon.  Some folks carefully remove the 5-pin insert, and  fabricate a carefully sized sleeve inside the barrel to take a 5-pin XLR insert instead.

The PSU connectors you might as well forget it. Remove them, make some plates to go behind the holes and punch them for  Binders or similar.

Be careful to make each process fully reversible, and keep the original parts of course, in case the miracle occurs.

I'll check for you, the PSU-MIC connector is the same for C12(as they share the same PSU N12) we have many vintage AKG/Neumann connectors.
You can also ask FLEA,they can make any custom connectors(not cheap:)

Ha good luck with that? Akg made those connectors themselves, they're as rare a rocking horse doodah, I do have some but I don't really want to sell them right now, the cheap option would be to replace them with 5 pin xlrs - Ashley Styles used to do a nice job, and it isn't so hard.

But they do come up on eBay if you wait.

Now if you can get hold of the 3 pin version that the D12 used to use which are far more common I do have five pin inserts that I had 3D printed using Neutrix teminals that work fine, in fact now I come to think about it you could probably bodge a connector with them. PM me if you're interested

Hi Jim

I had an email from your friend looking for these plugs and also advised swapping to XLR sockets, much as Magneto & Tim suggests above. 

I have also fitted an XLR to the C28 itself in the past, which is doable with a lathe.

Good luck!
Stewart

Dan Alexander in the US has a few of the PSU connectors. Not cheap.

https://store.danalexanderaudio.com/collections/parts/products/akg-c12-c28-ela-m251-connectors

Since this thread popped up again, I actually went there looking for the mic connector. If you can find one of those it will help to preserve the collector value of the mic. 😉

Back