Alctron CP540 Neve 2254/33609 Clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ruud, not the cleanest comp i agree. However, LF area was actually cleaner with stock output transformer, these measurements are with Carnhill.

@r2d2
It seems to be the same thing, with some tweaks/changes. The diodes are closely matched, pretty surprising.

I guess it could benefit from cap upgrade in the signal path, i am not 100% sure that Nichicon branded ones are originals. Some are lower values compared to Igor's.

Switchable Zobel is a nice feat.

Igor mentions some blue aged tantalums are better option. Sounds bit esotheric to me, but...

Mentions also old Motorola transistor, i might try one.

Both CP540 and MP73eq do the same thing i can't get with any plugin.

With no compression/eq enabled when driven harder they do wonders on stereo busses.

I don't have pairs sadly, but i just run L&R chanels individualy and bring them back in DAW. No compression, just driven until i hear first clue of distortion, and then dial back couple db. It does wonders this way, both eq and compressor.

Btw i sold LA610 and Liquid Chanel in the meanwhile and never regreted. I am actually surprised both units got good reviews at Gearslutz as well as their 500 series :)

Last edited:
kingkorg said:
…….Btw i sold LA610 and Liquid Chanel in the meanwhile and never regreted. I am actually surprised both units got good reviews at Gearslutz as well as their 500 series :) 

really no "fan" with liquid channel ?

kingkorg said:
…….Not that i care for what they write there, but when they praise Chinese gear non affiliated to any US company i tend to pay attention.

the n*1 cloners in the world  ?

cheers

ps
lack of the limiter on the Igor 54 comp
it's like a car without a wheel

I am actually huge fan of Liquid products. However the problem with Liquid Chanel is when it gets pushed, it does deliver fixed maximum saturation/character that is sampled, and can't get any further. There is no interraction/variation when input and output are pushed in different ways.

I get the same effect with Liquid Mix i still have and love. For 50$ they sell now it can't be beaten.

Liquid Chanel is superb clean preamp when emulations are not used. And people overlook that part often. Add variable impedance transformer/no transformer input, AD converter and it's really a killer. But in the end i was going for ''color", Alctron has that for sure. And for the price of LC i can get a lot of great of clean pres and still have LM for emulations.

I used LC for live as well, and there is no thing like it for that application.

Well, i did get them directly from Alctron. Just try that way. There is a guy on ebay and reverb "noelthemusician" that sells their gear. You can try Aliexpress and Alibaba as well.

The price vary a lot, but i would say that somwhere about 250$ is fair ptice. I would not by any means pay 500$ what advertised price seems to be.

Golden Age Comp54 seems to be the same thing, but different package.

kingkorg said:
Golden Age Comp54 seems to be the same thing, but different package.

……. the chineses also  clone themselves ;D
cheers

ps
(…how they do with wifes ?  ::)  )

kingkorg said:
I believe Alctron produces them for Golden Age.

After checked various images about
have to say that are soooooooooooooo  similar to Igor designs
marconi knobs too , are sooooo similar to that for sale here around…

cheers

ps
how many " suckers"  around…  :-\

Back