All OpAmp mic design (no FET at first stage)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0.001% should be -100dB THD+N, and could be audible depending on its harmonic content. Even orders may be inaudible
I would think most mikes and speakers will not meet that -100dB , and certainly not my ears.
Percent of full scale can also be misleading if not the full scale is used.
I have not seen much of weighing the harmonics against their annoyance factor.
The -100dB number may disguise other more annoying factors, odd order, monotonic noise, intermods, who knows.
Tube amps humble %THD numbers vs. some solid state types would make people cover their ears.
Some people prefer single ended no feedback power amps, with objectively much worse THD.

You also have to consider the performance figures for whichever op amp you chose when faced with the circuit you are using it in. Using such a high value feedback resistor (or should it be considered as a biassing resistor only? ) may indicate the original design and op amp uses a topology internal where parts of the usual attributes are bypassed like using the offset input terminals of a LM301 or a NE5534 to input signal from a pair of J FETS (for example) essentially using only the output drive capability an internal voltage gain. This makes basic function of a circuit much more OP amp specific.

Back