All weather mics for remote recording

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

This is a strange request but have been asked if I know of any mics that can be used in a sauna.
I don’t know the specifics beyond that such as how much steam or any conditions other then in a sauna at this time. However it has me thinking of how too much moisture and humidity are bad for mics. So any ideas? Clearly condensers are out.
what about shotgun mics or dynamics?

Whole thing sounds fishy to me ,
For what good purpose would someone want to record a private conversation in somewhere like a sauna ,
coersion/blackmail/extortion ? Could be someone trying to spy on their boss , or maybe someone trying to prove infidelity in a marriage .

There are combination USB sticks available with memory , mems mic , audio record , internal battery and on-off switch ,same size as the usual thumb drive , no wires ,no wireless , no way of tracing it back if its discovered .

Id say be careful what use the advice your giving is being put to , nefarious goings on have a tendency to backfire .

Whole thing sounds fishy to me ,
For what good purpose would someone want to record a private conversation in somewhere like a sauna ,
coersion/blackmail/extortion ? Could be someone trying to spy on their boss , or maybe someone trying to prove infidelity in a marriage .

There are combination USB sticks available with memory , mems mic , audio record , internal battery and on-off switch ,same size as the usual thumb drive , no wires ,no wireless , no way of tracing it back if its discovered .

Id say be careful what use the advice your giving is being put to , nefarious goings on have a tendency to backfire .
this is actually for a show/podcast. So no private conversation would be recorded.
i was thinking the rode ntg5 which is said to be moisture resistant, according to rode

Last edited:
DPA has a number of mics that are insensitive to moisture. Hec, you can wash those.

If the microphone is filled up with water, it will not be damaged, but possibly turn deaf while the water is captured inside the microphone, behind the protection grid. Remove the water by shaking the microphone or drying it with a piece of lint free cloth.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/DPA/media/DPA-Manual/dscreet-Miniature-Microphones-users-manual.pdf
And, of course the Sennheiser MKH range is AC polarised, so the capsule doesn't attract drops in the air.

Inquire what"s available at your preferred rental? See what they think?

I've recorded quite a bit in very wet conditions and if it were my mics, I'd use some DIY electrets, as I did in the past. They last long enough (up to 6 hours before failing) and are cheap enough to sacrifice. I used to have a dozen or so around, in case.

These days, if it's DIY, look at MEMS mics. Very small. Some are amazing and a lot are water resistant. Dirt cheap too, unless you can't get them in small quantities.

This CUI dev kit with four different circuits:

https://www.cuidevices.com/product/audio/microphones/development-kits/devkit-mems-001
Is less than 15$ at Digikey.

Back