Altec 1567a replacement transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayBlack

Has anyone tested these replacement transformers currently offered via ebay ?
I'm interested if they hold up with the sonic expectations and if beyer transformers are to be trusted .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-1567a-Microphone-Transformers-/161630029138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a1e68552

Terrible idea in my opinion.  They will not compete.  They will be colorful. 

Ok given that the 4722s are indisputably too high priced...what would you use ?

In a 1567?  Buy the 4722, or sell the 1567.  It is the sound of the 1567. 

In something else?  You'd have to try a bunch of things and see what you like.  Probably more expensive than just buying a 4722.

Ditto on the beyers being a terrible idea. Not that they are "bad" or anything, but they are in no way equivalent, nor made to the same specs as the 4722, as the seller says.  This guy's just trying to make money from someone hoping to get more than what they paid for. 

If you need a mic trafo with a high impedance secondary, there are a couple of cinemags which might work:

CMQEE-3440A  (marketed as "quad eight vintage" replacement, which is solid state gear, but it has a 50K secondary).  Average size core like the API and clone transformers.

Much better than this would be:

CM-9994A, with an 85K secondary.  Large core, dual bobbin, should sound pretty nice.

Both of these are surely way under the price of a 4722.  Under $100 would be my guess.

Latest posts

Back