• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Amek M1000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meizy84

Hi guys, new to the board but have snooped about here in the past. Some great info here!

I have an old Amek M1000 desk that I am considering parting with but have no idea on where to value it. MJQ had one in mint condition up for £10k about 10years back but mine is not in that condition and I'm not sure they would have got that much for it. I may have to give up the space it's currently in and am looking for more of a portable recording rig. My dilemma is whether or not to break it up and sell the PSU and channels off individually and scrap the frame or to sell it in one piece. I'm looking to fund some nice mic pres and a monitor controller as that's all I've been using it for for the last few years.

As a desk, it came to be in a bad way - no arm rest, lower mouting rail cut off, all wiring looms cut off etc. It was a labour of love! It was kindly given to me by a post production studio owner in Soho, London when I worked for Dolby on student placement in 2006.  It has had a new arm rest and rail fitted. Wiring of mic pres is all to XLRs and all other connections (line ins/outs/inserts is to EDACs). There are some GPO B-gauge bays with EDACS with it. I made a new back shelf for monitors with some rack mounting space for interfaces etc. as there was no meter bridge with it.

There are 24 mic input channels (4 with full parametric EQ) and 20 with a more basic EQ section, 2 FX return channels, 2 stereo groups, master bus with noise gen and talk back mic and a custom made monitor section with 3 speaker switch, monitor level, DIM mute etc. I have fitted a wooden work surface in the centre to cover empty channel space which I use for mouse and keyboard. All mic pres are Sowter transformer based.

All channels work but some pots get stuck and need a spray to get them free from time to time and the odd pot is crackly. Few lamps out and one side of the master bus currently drops in level but eventually bursts into life when passing a high enough audio signal (hoping to get to the bottom of that before selling). It'll be sad to see it go, but I think it's time!

It would need someone willing to put a few hours in and who knows what they are doing to get it singing again. Any thoughts on splitting it up or interest in making an offer?

I should add that I have all the schematics and manual.

Cheers,

Mei

Latest posts

Back