AMI T58 transformers worth it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterEvan07

I've considered swapping a T58 into a SM57 or SM58 but it's hard to justify a transformer that costs as much as I could get one of said mics for used.

Who's tried the T58? Is it really sonically $90 worth of improvement?

I've been told that modern 57s aren't a patch to the old Unidynes, but then if you're going to spend $90 on a transformer why not go all the way and get a vintage Unidyne?

Thoughts and perspective appreciated!

I have 5 SM58's and 3 57's. They all sound different. My fave for my guitar amp is a transformerless 'PE' something series from one of the high impedance versions. It's an older 57 capsule (plastic housing) that I stuck on a transformerless 57 body. My favorite for snare was one bought new at guitar center circa 2000 (my friends wrecked it.) For 58's I don't see how a different transformer would be better. Mine all seem dark and benefit from the transformers cutting quality. A different transformer in a 57 would be cool, but you'll definitely want an original around for what it does. I have an old unidyne III '57 as well and it sounds a bit filtered and midrangy. I never use that one. Was planning on buying a new 57 from a reputable place soon. Are the new ones lame or something?

I have 5 SM58's and 3 57's. They all sound different. My fave for my guitar amp is a transformerless 'PE' something series from one of the high impedance versions. It's an older 57 capsule (plastic housing) that I stuck on a transformerless 57 body. My favorite for snare was one bought new at guitar center circa 2000 (my friends wrecked it.) For 58's I don't see how a different transformer would be better. Mine all seem dark and benefit from the transformers cutting quality. A different transformer in a 57 would be cool, but you'll definitely want an original around for what it does. I have an old unidyne III '57 as well and it sounds a bit filtered and midrangy. I never use that one. Was planning on buying a new 57 from a reputable place soon. Are the new ones lame or something?
I'm not trying to assert that the modern version is inferior, per se, just that I'd heard/read conflicting things and was curious to dispel or validate those assertions. Moreover, I'm curious just how impactful a transformer is to a dynamic mic like the 57 and if it's really a valuable investment that pays off tonal dividends or if it's just burning money.

I suppose there's plenty of subjectivity to that, so...

Back