Analog Obsession will come back!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, that was a clever piece if there ever was one. I remember being really impressed with the Aphex 1001 VCA, but it was really hard to get at the time (late 80'es..)

/Jakob E.

"It compares the sidechain signal from all three bands to a reference level, and creates a PWM signal that gets mixed with each individual bands AC signal which is phase flipped according to whichever peak is loudest" 

Woah. Might you explain a bit more? Certainly the PWM isn't in the audio path (which ac sig, the reference)?

Sorry didn't see this...

Screenshot of the manual section explaining it. But you just need to download and read the whole manual. Just google it, forgot where I found it. Its fascinating.

Attachments

• Dom.jpg
    Dom.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 29
The Dominator was quite popular in mastering setups before digital limiting. IIRC there was aggressive RF filtering at the input which many removed.

Indeed it does have RF filters but I have taken them out and it doesn't effect the sound at all, seen it on the AP as well, its for stuff  above 20K. I can only hear to 17K, if that anymore. I think people give frequencies above 15K too much importance. Usually boosting above that is only boosting 15K a little less radically.  Another reason high sampling rates are ridiculous, just my opinion of course.  I love crappy digital filters, distortion in the high end sounds good to me, I don't care what they say... ;D

bluebird said:
Indeed it does have RF filters but I have taken them out and it doesn't effect the sound at all, seen it on the AP as well, its for stuff  above 20K. I can only hear to 17K, if that anymore. I think people give frequencies above 15K too much importance. Usually boosting above that is only boosting 15K a little less radically.  Another reason high sampling rates are ridiculous, just my opinion of course.  I love crappy digital filters, distortion in the high end sounds good to me, I don't care what they say... ;D

I agree with not hearing well above 15K. I almost never boost up there. The reason to have wide bandwidth through a device is because in a long signal chain LPF's can add together and creep towards the audio band. I usually see 80K-100K as good engineering practice  for the pass band. If the device is sitting next to a transmitter less passband.

Supposing the first link in the chain is a 1 inch condenser mic  the response is probably already starting to fall away a good bit at 20khz , theres not a huge amount of energy off  voice in that frequency range anyway , but what you do get you probably want to keep .
Other sound sources with limited bandwidth like electric guitar  are just fine recorded with dynamic mics or narrower bandwidth equipments . Close in drum mics again narrow band is probably better ,curtailing ultra lows and super highs is preferable to lessen spill from cymbals or kick ,say on tom mics . 
Clean bandwidth out to 80 or 100khz in the amplification side is nice ,but trying to mulitrack a band  at 192khz would be over the top ,although Im sure some do it because they can .

Does any of this matter a damn to the average listener of MP3's in the modern age , probably not .

I followed someones recomendation to listen to Supertramp , Im not a massive fan but they did make good sounding records ,not just for the times they were in ,but by anyones standards even now . Lets face it the vast majority of popular music now is programmed while all the musicians sit around bored in the studio , what your getting from the older records is a product symbiosis of talent , for me thats always much more interesting musically .

Tubetec said:
Clean bandwidth out to 80 or 100khz in the amplification side is nice ,but trying to mulitrack a band  at 192khz would be over the top ,although Im sure some do it because they can .
Agreed, there is no useful audio above 17-18kHz. Above is for dogs.
Good practice in signal transmission theory is that the channel must have a wider BW than the content to be transmitted. Most mics have almost no signal above 40kHz. Targetting 40-50kHz BW for the channel is good practice. That's what you get by sampling at Double Speed (88.2/96k).
Tape recording requires BW restriction between mic and tape; this is better done by applying necessary filtering passively at the front of a channel that has intrinsically higher BW.

Lets face it the vast majority of popular music now is programmed while all the musicians sit around bored in the studio , what your getting from the older records is a product symbiosis of talent , for me thats always much more interesting musically .
C'était mieux avant!

Latest posts

Back