...and tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

1st,

has Nobody ever tried to clone a ****** Pre?
Vox Box?

Gyraf did you ever get ahold of a schematic?

2nd,

Why is there a lack of tube pre-amps in the diy world?

and i see as well not as much intrest why is that?

novice-

you know that movie Time Bandits, at the end the big ugly evil dude points his long nails at one of the helpless midgets, shoots some evil fire out and turns the poor little guy into a pig? Thats what happens around here when you mention the M word with the exception of course that the scene in time bandits was really funny...

What was the line at the end with the toaster?

"dont touch it, its EEEEEEVIL!"

dave

hey why is that?

so at least I know why not to mention it?

why is the manley taboo?
im getting the same response i get when i speak avalon,it's like im talkking to myself....

someone could offer a nice explanation so i don't continue to make myself be a jackass

thnx soundguy

One, playing with tubes is like playing with fire. Ok so it's more of a matter of lethal voltages. The projects are out there. Some are in here.

Here's Michael Krusch's fun page. He has a rather simple 1566 clone in there.
http://www.digital-synthologie.de/

There's another Kevin around these parts. He has a nice kit ready to go. See it here.
http://www.kandkaudio.com/proaudio.html

Trust me. The Manley quest is not worth it. Shit, stuff isn't even that good anyway. :cool:

saving bringing up the wretched water under the bridge, when it comes to M and avalon and the likes, understand that these people are in business to make money and if you want one of their products you should go buy one. There is enough AMAZING stuff out there designed by very smart guys that is no longer in production which nobody has a conflict with which you could build which will sound every bit as good or better than the things you mention. There are a few companies *in business* exclusively ripping off neve and api and others, so it seems pretty fair game to go after that stuff. Other companies have original designs or are under then impression that they have original designs and we should respect their intellectual property rights. I dont know what youd need to search for, but the politics of this have been discussed ad naseum which is probably why nobody wants to get into it anymore. The group has agreed more or less not to fuck with some people.

If you are dead set on building a tube preamp, there has been some talk about a few guys doing an rca pre and I think there is some info on the k&K audio site for a kit with boards.

dave

There is no lack of DIY tube preamps People have even DIYed a V76!

The M***** was posted and taken down. IMO the circuit is no big deal.

Maybe you have not looked enought ?

Google can be your friend

I have a dual RCA started just finished two greens. Tube pres tend to be easyier to build two transformers and a microphone (could not help that)

two transformers and a gain stage for a simple one to a V76

We even get into the alloy of the lam(s) used and winding for transformers used in all builds microphones to compressors to.......

There is ALOT of info in the metas you need to read and reread AL of them stuff sometimes what you are looking for is in the other metas
. Alot of us are here every day and for years(counting the old forum) that why the metas were made to help the new people as well as long timers

ah thank you

now i have finally found the boards required "etiquette".

1).clone only those which are/or have been discountinued or that which are being cloned [mass]

2).tubes are too dangerous for most people to bother with? too much of a risk.

3). what really grabs my intrest is "To Design My Own Pre-amp"

by means of my own design.
first i need to Read.

thanks you guys

cloning a voxbox would be craziness :) I'd have a feeling the price would be a little rediculous if you wanted to not only clone one but develop nice metalwork and such too...

theres certain things out there that just dont make sense when it comes to DIY.. IE: most things that can be had on todays current retail market can be had for not much more than it would cost to build one...

why the heck would anyone want to try and copy an avalon 737? it would cost more to copy than to just buy one :green:

I love their DI box.. but when I opened it up to have a peak I realized very quickly that it would make much more sense just to buy a few...

there are current manufactures that develop their own products and put their own *label/name* on them for resell.. theres a tendancy to not mess with em when it comes to DIY... not sure if its out of respect or fear of legal issues...

there are current manufacturers who are living off of past product development from publicly available designs... some of these are bing done the DIY way right now...

guess to put it simple... you have to pick and choose your battles wisely... as there are some companies out there who fear public knowledge of their product design more than others...

Viitalahde
i take it all in friendly spirit.

Im just trying to gather the most information i can
as i await my equipment.

if i dont ask i may not learn....

and trust me i do use the search function a lot!

but a lot of the time i put something in the search I'll end up getting the same thing i got when i put something else in the search.

I searched for manley and got the same things i got for a whole different search.... un-helpfull

but i did google some things ....

the thing that would help me most is if i could hear some things [of the same source] put through the various Pre-amps..... that would of been the greatest help of all

thank you.

Stick a suitable mic input transformer (say, 1:10 ratio) in front of this and it should make a good preamp.

Schematic

If you need an extra 6dB or so of gain, you can bypass R4 with a 220uF cap (with some impairment of THD performance).

To make this a feedback preamp, replace VR1 with a 1M resistor, change C2 to .01uF, move C1 from R2 to R4, and couple the feedback from pins 3/6 on the White cathode follower output stage to the cathode of V1A via a 22uF cap in series with a resistor of suitable value to give the gain you want.

Ideally, the closed-loop gain should be set to one-tenth or less the open-loop gain, so we're talking a closed-loop gain of about 26dB with this circuit (not counting the 6dB stepdown in the output transformer, and the stepup of whatever input transformer you choose to use). If you used a 1:10 input transformer and the closed-loop gain of the tube circuit was set to 26dB, you'd have a net value of 40dB, a pretty typical value for a mic preamp.

I'm going to delete this thread today, just so we can avoid any attention arising from a misunderstanding, since the Mistress has made it known that she doesn't approve of M***** "design discussion."

I'm not trying to be the thought police, just trying to keep us out of unnecessary hassle.

On second thought, I'll just change the subject, and get rid of the M words, since Dave went through the trouble of offering a design idea.

Thanks!

Hey, check this forum closer. Have a search for Tube Pre DIY projects, or something like this. Like others have said, there are LOTS of DIY mic premaps floating.

[quote author="Ethan"]I'm going to delete this thread today, just so we can avoid any attention arising from a misunderstanding, since the Mistress has made it known that she doesn't approve of M***** "design discussion."[/quote]

yea we need to keep this in the secret forum :razz:

there are plenty of DIY tube mic pres around here and around the net. Why off the top of my head I am thinking of the G9 graf DIY mic pre. The chief or Gustav can sell you the pcb's. Outside of that there are plenty of DIY tube Pre kits including KandK audios RCA style tube pre. Having done some(very little) reseach I know that someone from the M camp did or said something in spirit of mean. noth worth bringing up besides I have used their stuff b4 and it's not worth the price. If you don't want to DIY a Pre and a re looking to buy a tube pre, I would recomend the GT Vipre since you mention Voxbox you should have the money for it and definately worth it IMO. PLus the people at GT are there out of love for better sounding audio/amps vs $$. why a couple of weeks ago they gave me all the parts I needed to fix one owned by a client of mine for free and would have even covered shipping on said parts if I didn't live in LA. IMO GT a class act all the way and friendly as well.

[quote author="Ethan"]I'm going to delete this thread today, just so we can avoid any attention arising from a misunderstanding, since the Mistress has made it known that she doesn't approve of M***** "design discussion."

I'm not trying to be the thought police, just trying to keep us out of unnecessary hassle.[/quote]

who is the mistress?

thanks for the idea Dave

i appreciate all of the words of advice,
it's re-assuring to know i can get good help If i was to need it.

like i said before though i would actually have a better understanding of "said" PRE' if i could hear audio comparisons

Waiting on my tools

btw this is right up to par as far as meters go right?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D816

thank you

Back