Another CK12 Thread - what's available in 2023?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With so many variables between the original CK12's variance, the different circuits people have heard originals in, the preferred CK12's our modern manufacturers prefer, the personal taste of DIY builders, and the different circuits these capsules are now going into, there's clearly only one solution:

Build a C12, 251, and a C12a. Buy one each of Beesneez, Campbell, and OPR CK12s and try them all in each circuit!

I'm only half joking, since I'm an OPR CK12 and some C12a parts away from the trifecta.

With so many variables between the original CK12's variance, the different circuits people have heard originals in, the preferred CK12's our modern manufacturers prefer, the personal taste of DIY builders, and the different circuits these capsules are now going into, there's clearly only one solution:

Build a C12, 251, and a C12a. Buy one each of Beesneez, Campbell, and OPR CK12s and try them all in each circuit!

I'm only half joking, since I'm an OPR CK12 and some C12a parts away from the trifecta.
It would be nice if manufacturers published half decent FR graphs so DIYers could get at least an idea what they are in for.

I can offer making the measurements free of charge and sending them back if manufacturers cover all the expenses regarding shipping back and forth + norwegian import charges. I doubt tho anyone would be interested. I'd be happy to take the measurements of the original they are based on as well.

I like Advanced Audio, and caps I had been getting from https://www.wgtcenter.com/ prices are low and the mics I used it in did well with it.
The AA CK12 is a Chinese edge-terminated K67, like the M&M and RK12 mentioned above. None of those are true CK12's. They may sound good, but they are different from a CK12 - just like an M7 is different from a K47.

The only "true" CK12's available right now are listed in the first post in this thread. It looks like OPR may have some stock now too.

but the photo looks like the one
Funny, I just posted about using a Terrapin transformer in a 87-ish build. I’ve had the transformer for years and didn’t realize Terrapin was still around. I’m excited to see what comes of this.
Yeah, but it looks like the same capsule from the Chinese company selling a CT12 replica on AliExpress www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805618454854.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3d2818fcl4HzdC&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita. Well, anyway, how did the Terrapin transformer perform?

Latest posts

Back