Another question about the Dorsey MC012 Mic mod...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

The original input blocking cap on the capsule of the MC012 os a 680pf ceramic type. Dorsey suggests that the cap is slightly piezoelectric and recommends changing it...of course.

The parts he suggest are Panasonic 820pf ceramic type, which I have already purchased. He also suggests that glass or mica types might work well too. What are glass type?

For the MXL mods we have all been putting 1000pf styroflex caps on the capsule. Wouldn't this be better than the 820pf ceramic would on the Oktava too?

Also, Dorsey mentions glass or mica alternatives...are these different than the styroflex polystyrenes from the MXL mod? The picture in the article looks like it might actually be a styroflex (he calls it glass) but the scans are dark and blurry so I can't tell.

Just wondering since I have a bag of the styroflex sitting here.

I also got a bag of 1000pf Wima mixed film caps too. Aside from the short leads (which I could use lead snippets to lengthen) they are small and would also make a good fit. Would these be any better than the ceramic or styroflex? I only ask instead of trying because the insode of the MC012 is WAY fragile, and I don't want to be swapping components a lot.

Thanks!
Shane

sorry, i cant answer your question, but ive always had problems locating the 'dorsey mod' information. do you have a pdf or direct link to the oktava 012 mod?
im sure a few people might benifit from it. goodluck with your problems though :thumb:

taylor

Yes, use the polystyrene (styroflex?) instead of the ceramic. Silver micas sound VERY bright here and even seem to limit the bass some, but try anything you got and see what you like. You may want to somehow solder some little sockets in this position so all you have to do is plug in different caps.

Another thing that seems to make a huge difference with the MC012s is the 10uF cap you use to replace the 1uF. Tantalum and electrolytics sound entirely different here. Scott recommends the tants, but to me they seem to suppress some of the upper mids. Electrolytics sound clearer and less obtrusive to me, but even they will vary a little depending on the type and brand you use.

Thanks, I will go with the Styroflex on the capsule.

What do you know about the mixed films? I assume they are polystyrene and polypropylene mix. I didn't realize I got mixed until after they arrived. I meant to get polyprops...but now i think mixed might be interesting. Are they still good enough to use in this type of app?

Shane

General consensus seems to be that polystyrenes or polypros are the best sounding. But like I said earlier, put in sockets (the machine pins from IC sockets work real well) and try ?em all! :grin:

Latest posts

Back