Rode NT1 (black) mod to tame highs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattenylander

Hi,
I’ve read a few post on gearspace and here about modding the Rode Nt1A where (Jim Williams the original designer as I understand it) suggested to

Quote “There are no frequency feedback nets in that design. There are a pair of 470 pf caps at the base of each Hitachi output transistor to ground that you can increase the value of to lower hf bandwidth. Try 1500 or 2200 pf.”

Is this mod, to lower the HF bandwidth also possible on the new NT1 black? If so, which capacitors would that be?

Old NT1A, the stars on the green caps are the ones he is referring to.1678105861363.png

New Black NT1 1678105972554.png

The "old" is, just as it says on the pcb, the NT1 (no "A" and finished in "hospital blue").

After that came the silver NT1-A, then the black NT1, these two being largely identical (possibly apart from minor differences regarding the capsule?).

Yes, Rode have made it really confusing to keep track of some model lineages...

https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-nt1-kit-the-black-one-mods.77086/

The "old" is, just as it says on the pcb, the NT1 (no "A" and finished in "hospital blue").

After that came the silver NT1-A, then the black NT1, these two being largely identical (possibly apart from minor differences regarding the capsule?).

Yes, Rode have made it really confusing to keep track of some model lineages...

https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-nt1-kit-the-black-one-mods.77086/
Thanks!
So as I understand it’s a bit more to it to do a HF tame mod on the NT1 (trace cutting etc) than just swap some capacitors as on the NT1A?

I’m not very good at reading the schematic and be able to see where that would be on the actual circuit, so if I would do the mod in the link you posted, where would it be on the actual circuit?

Many thanks!

So just to get things straight, you have a black NT1 that you want to tone down the top end of?

So just to get things straight, you have a black NT1 that you want to tone down the top end of?
Exactly, I Like it in general but I find it a bit hard hitting on the highs for my vocals and since I saw the thread about modding an NT1A I became curious if it’s possible to do the same on the NT1 black.

Exactly, I Like it in general but I find it a bit hard hitting on the highs for my vocals and since I saw the thread about modding an NT1A I became curious if it’s possible to do the same on the NT1 black.
There is no simple cap swap HF tame way to do it in this model you have. It is tricky to pull this mod off since it's smt, and you need specific inductor.

On the other hand, you don't need to do it, it is really just a built in EQ. There is no difference if you do it in post, or in the mic. In the thread Khron linked to you have the image of the exact EQ curve needed to flatten out the mic. Replicate that curve with any EQ, and you will get the same results.

On the other hand, you don't need to do it, it is really just a built in EQ. There is no difference if you do it in post, or in the mic. In the thread Khron linked to you have the image of the exact EQ curve needed to flatten out the mic. Replicate that curve with any EQ, and you will get the same results.
Or if you do need to apply EQ in real time, then something like THIS concept can be useful.
Much less brutal than a passive internal LPF, which simply attenuates everything above the selected frequency, and not just within the pass band you actually want to address.....

Hi,
I’ve read a few post on gearspace and here about modding the Rode Nt1A where (Jim Williams the original designer as I understand it) suggested to

Quote “There are no frequency feedback nets in that design. There are a pair of 470 pf caps at the base of each Hitachi output transistor to ground that you can increase the value of to lower hf bandwidth. Try 1500 or 2200 pf.”

Is this mod, to lower the HF bandwidth also possible on the new NT1 black? If so, which capacitors would that be?

Old NT1A, the stars on the green caps are the ones he is referring to.View attachment 106010

New Black NT1 View attachment 106012
I don't know how I missed this, but thank you so much for the impulse response, @kingkorg

I don't have CurveEQ, so maybe that's why I put the thread out of my mind at the time. But I can definitely work with the NT1 to Flat IR. My DAW (FL Studio) has a very underrated stock convolution plugin with IR loader. It has a very silly name (Fruity Convolver), but it has a LiquidSonics convolution engine, so it can be trusted to handle IR's well as far as I know.

Thanks again for taking the time to make and upload the IR files. The NT1 to flat will see good use I'm sure. Also, the CM4's have been working out great. I'll report back on those in the other thread if I have any particular thoughts after using them some more this year.

Cheers!
I actually forgot i made these, thanks to @svyet for reminding me. You can also use these to get the ideal result in post. Of course Rogs' alternative is also fantastic one to explore.

Thanks for the reply! Ok I understand, I just thought it it would be nice way to “fix it in the mic” kind of way, especially when I stack many vocals and such…

Plus it would be fun to do some soldering and modding 🤩

I look in to the Michael Jolly ideas as well!

Back