Any DIY active bass traps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul W

Does anyone know of DIY plans for active bass traps?

My impression is that there are at least two kinds. One kind is basically a subwoofer with a microphone that listens for low bass frequencies and generates an opposite subwoofer output to cancel whatever bass is impinging on it. I have no idea how that is actually done such that it can compensate for the fact that it's generating bass itself, and do it well enough not to introduce lots of weird distortion.

The other kind is keyed to the output of a stereo system and basically filters out everything but low bass, then reverses and delays it by just the right amount, so that the sub (generally at the far end of the room from the normal speakers) mostly cancels out the bass frequencies when they reach it.

The latter at least seems like something it shouldn't be terribly hard to do usefully well with something like a Raspberry Pi and a subwoofer or two, with very little additional circuitry, but I've never heard of anyone DIYing anything like this.

Naively, I'd think it'd be complementary to traditional acoustic treatments, because it would work best at very low frequencies where trapping bass the traditional way is hardest and bulkiest.

The active bass traps by PSI are only active in that they have a mechanism to tune themselves, but they are velocity or pressure absorbers. They work well and are expensive. I haven’t personally seen any active (noise-cancelling) bass traps in the wild, although BagEnd has advertised them for years.

Tuned pressure absorbers and proper velocity absorbers are so inexpensive and easy that active traps seem to be an extravagance.

Maybe someone has an idea for a better mousetrap?

Tuned pressure absorbers and proper velocity absorbers are so inexpensive and easy that active traps seem to be an extravagance.

Given that I have extra subwoofers and older Raspberry Pis lying around, I was hoping for something nearly free (to me).

The Phantom Acoustics "Shadow" comes to mind, this was discussed a long time ago on the DIYAudio forum (as Nelson Pass is a regular there). Pretty simple, microphone/amp/speaker, from what I recall.

Found some things, this, I believe, are things that were posted during the discussion of the phantom acoustics antisound device, there's a PCB layout also.
Haven't tested this out so YMMV. maybe the schematic is the only thing that is interesting.

Attachments

• Absorber_partlist_default.zip
    654.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Schematics explained.pdf
    146.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back