Any members from Argentina know more about this.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who remembers the TV set "cheater cords" that allowed us to bypass the protection interlocks and power up hot chassis TV sets without the protective rear chassis cover. 

Simpler times but these were mass produced and widely available, today they would get sued out of business.

JR 

okgb said:
or all those simple tube amps without power transformers

Oh, I worked with one for a while but it bits you once and you remember... we were really careful with it, always checking the chassis was neutral and not live, it had a green light with a contact, you touch the contact, if green light powers it's fine, if it doesn't just reverse the polarity of mains and you will be fine. I's not the more safe approach but if you use it correctly there shouldn't be bigger problems. The chassis being neutral could be one problem. Lucky us there are few of this still around...

JS

While a chassis tied to neutral is better than tied to hot it can still be dangerous. If the neutral connection opens up that chassis will be energized up to a major fraction of the hot voltage.

A three wire outlet with real safety ground is "safer".

JR

JohnRoberts said:
While a chassis tied to neutral is better than tied to hot it can still be dangerous. If the neutral connection opens up that chassis will be energized up to a major fraction of the hot voltage.

A three wire outlet with real safety ground is "safer".

JR

I know, that's why my last phrase is there, also I was accounting it as one of the two problems needed for someone to die in earlier  posts.

JS

An overall summary of shock issues, Popular Electronics 1959.

No great depth, but great cartoons.

Attachments

• shock.pdf
    1.2 MB
Back