Any thoughts on Phaedrus VF14 tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea, good entertainment! Keep us posted. (y)
Made it,i'm pretty tired it was a long test:) singer preferred the Phaedrus gold but their standard vf14m is very good too. All fully compatible with u47. Grosser tube had lower gain and more noise,but it is a real tube closed into a metal box, so it should be normal.

Attachments

• received_872103463768191.jpeg
    received_872103463768191.jpeg
    192.7 KB
Made it,i'm pretty tired it was a long test:) singer preferred the Phaedrus gold but their standard vf14m is very good too. All fully compatible with u47. Grosser tube had lower gain and more noise,but it is a real tube closed into a metal box, so it should be normal.
How close are Phaedrus Gold to the original VF14? Thanks

How close are Phaedrus Gold to the original VF14? Thanks
Each different, even the original Telefunken vf14's:D I would need 2 fully original u47 to confirm this,but I have only 1 at the moment. Anyway all usable, I can send you the project if you want to listen it. I guess the Phaedrus will work better with M7 capsules, as the overall tone is a bit brighter than the old TFK tube. The cheaper Phaedrus VF14M sounds very smooth it is a good compromise I think.

Each different, even the original Telefunken vf14's:D I would need 2 fully original u47 to confirm this,but I have only 1 at the moment. Anyway all usable, I can send you the project if you want to listen it. I guess the Phaedrus will work better with M7 capsules, as the overall tone is a bit brighter than the old TFK tube. The cheaper Phaedrus VF14M sounds very smooth it is a good compromise I think.
Interesting, thanks for feedback. I ask myself at the moment how a EF800 or EF12k would compare to the VF14 and its substitutes? (In a real U47) Again, we would need two U47 for this blindtest.
Is it known which tube Andres Grosser used in his VF replacement solution?

Interesting, thanks for feedback. I ask myself at the moment how a EF800 or EF12k would compare to the VF14 and its substitutes? (In a real U47) Again, we would need two U47 for this blindtest.
Is it known which tube Andres Grosser used in his VF replacement solution?
EF800 is lower quality for me(I built like 20clones) EF12k is already too expensive, I used them for RFT CM7151 restorations. EF12 sounds different too. I found which tube Andreas used but they asked me to not reveal,anyway it is a near extinction special submini tube.(I exchanged some noisy ones,but overall all were a little noisy:D.)

EF800 is lower quality for me(I built like 20clones) EF12k is already too expensive, I used them for RFT CM7151 restorations. EF12 sounds different too. I found which tube Andreas used but they asked me to not reveal,anyway it is a near extinction special submini tube.(I exchanged some noisy ones,but overall all were a little noisy:D.)
maybe the same as the one Telefunken US uses?

If you work with the bias of EF12 (especially lower the plate resistor) it's much closer to VF14 than Phaedrus. Pheadrus sounds good but it sounds solid state. I also think a well biased 408a/6028 sound better than Phaedrus but they are often too noisy and the quality varies between different brands.

I just bought a bunch of Telefunken EF800. I'm looking forward to try them out.

If you work with the bias of EF12 (especially lower the plate resistor) it's much closer to VF14 than Phaedrus. Pheadrus sounds good but it sounds solid state. I also think a well biased 408a/6028 sound better than Phaedrus but they are often too noisy and the quality varies between different brands.

I just bought a bunch of Telefunken EF800. I'm looking forward to try them out.
I prefer the other steel tubes than ef12(13/14 for instance). 408 I never tried.

That is an older company, they use another company for selling their products.
I can't find any references to a 'new' company on their website?... and 'Phaedrus Audio Ltd' was definitely dissolved on 26.7.22 ... See HERE
Maybe they're using a new sales company just to sell off the current inventory?..
I wonder how this new 'sales' company will be handling technical support and current warranties?..

I can't find any references to a 'new' company on their website?... and 'Phaedrus Audio Ltd' was definitely dissolved on 26.7.22 ... See HERE
Maybe they're using a new sales company just to sell off the current inventory?..
I wonder how this new 'sales' company will be handling technical support and current warranties?..
I'm not a lawyer haha, just checked my previous invoices,and actually those were all came from different company years back,not this LTD. I spoke with them not so long time ago,they said they will continue.

I'm not a lawyer haha, just checked my previous invoices,and actually those were all came from different company years back,not this LTD. I spoke with them not so long time ago,they said they will continue.
I'm sure things are probably OK -- it just seems a bit strange that they haven't yet updated their website to announce the new company.... and how (or rather if) this change affects existing orders and warranties in any way?....

I'm sure things are probably OK -- it just seems a bit strange that they haven't yet updated their website to announce the new company.... and how (or rather if) this change affects existing orders and warranties in any way?....
Ok let's close this rumour,so I asked Richard@Phaedrus Audio:

Phaedrus Audio is simply a trade-mark: the trading company is Independent Circuit Design.

Over 10 years ago, we incorporated a company called Phaedrus Audio Ltd. because we thought we might use this as a trading company. But we never have used this company. Earlier this year, we decided there was no point in paying for it to be audited each year (when there was no trading) and I decided to close it.

The company Phaedrus Audio Ltd. has never traded and is now closed. It makes to difference to the development, production or sales of the Phaedrus Audio product line. It is simple administration issue.

Latest posts

Back