Any thoughts on Phaedrus VF14 tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U87 gutted with the spirit tube and Moby BV8. Beautiful sound, maybe even better and detailed than original u47 due to better headbasket acoustics! Certainly the tube sound is there.

Compared to my Max mod U67 the U87 with Spirit tube/3U M7/Moby BV8 wins without a doubt. This thing clearly emulates most critical parameters of the VF14 tube. How they do it? Don't know..black magic.

Well is extremely close to VF14 in sound. Miles better than any EF800, VF14K, UF14 etc etc out there, believe me we have tried many options. Is it perfect? Don't know, even the current VF14's are in a constant state of decline and with certainty will cease to exist sooner than later. Therefore happy that there is at least a sustainable alternative. I love the U47 sound, it is not obtainable in other ways. Even the Townsend Sphere and Slate emulations don't come close...

No connection with them whatsoever, just a quite happy customer. The 300 euros for the spirit tube is fair value I think since with a couple of point to point components the U47 circuit is ready. Would be great to have a diy tube replacement though.

Latest posts

Back