Anybody tried this shell?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this price I would go for a second hand NT2 (looking for the exact body), capsule, dome and switches included. Also the mesh seems more accurate (but also quite delicate though)

Are the B2 bodies that bad looking? You already have almost all there for 60€ or so

For me it is good enough. I trashed everything that was inside and added a decent microphone capsule (K47) and well designed electronics. At first I was a bit afraid of ringing of the body. (because that was a problem wth the original low quality electret capsule, mounted without any shock isolation), but this was no problem with the finished microphone.
I made a simultaneous recording with this 'renewed' microphone and a Neumann U87ai and mailed the files to an ex-collegue sound engineer. He could not hear any difference he said and could not tell which microphone was the Neumann...
I think the body tube is made of aluminium. There are no 'rails' (as is the case in the microphone body in the first post) but the whole internal construction is in one piece made of a mystery alloy.

Last edited:
added a decent microphone capsule (K47) and well designed electronics.
I made a simultaneous recording with this 'renewed' microphone and a Neumann U87ai and mailed the files to an ex-collegue sound engineer. He could not hear any difference, he said and could not tell which microphone was the Neumann...

Wow, that's quite something 😁

A couple of weeks ago I bought this microphone. ... only interested in the body.

Boy, that looks a lot like the one I purchased on eBay for $32 and wish I had purchased a two. Mine, as yours, sounded awful as it contained a low grade FET electret capsule and the most modest of bias, not phantom, power boards. I gutted it and have built all sorts of different projects with it, as I cannot decide what I ultimately will do with it. I lined the body with self-stick foam pads to minimize ringing, more of a precaution than a cure for any definite ailment. Did yours look like this at first? James

Fake U87 body  IMG_1418.JPGFake U87 body  IMG_1349.JPG

Mine had a much more 'complicated' circuit.
In fact it had two(!) PCBs, one with almost nothing on it... :)
Mechanically it was more or less the same, also 'one piece of alloy'.

Well unfortunately the shell I posted is not available anymore. According to the seller, government shut down nickel plating facility or something and now he cannot supply. And I have gotten bitten by another Ali express supplier from wich I had purchase 3 87 bodies before, and they were actually pretty decent. I went with the same supplier, expecting the same kind of bodies , but the bodies that came from this new order, even though chassis is the same, the metal body (or whatever it is) is much cheaper a lighter in weight, and, well paint job looks pretty cheaper too, and overall I feel frustrated as I've been gathering parts for 2 of mihi's 87 mics, and 2 or Roger's opic MP mics, and the only thing missing was the bodies and Ari's capsules...
Anyway, any one please recommend me some trusted 87 style bodies that have good quality and don't feel cheap?
I prefer the ones that sell bodies with one piece cast chassis, not an assembly of various pieces.

Back