anybody up for a studer 500 pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spino

Hi all,

been lurking around for the past 2 weeks and i must say this is probably the forum where i've learned the most. great topics and great insights. from adc clocking to rk67 mic capsule, there's an ocean of information worth every post.

enough of my compliments, i was wondering why nobody (at least that i know of) came up with a studer preamp replica. i've seen studer eqs, but pres it's mostly api's, neve's, or even ssl's.

which is somehow of strange, since i'd expect them to be fairly adaptable, especially to the 500 series, and imho they belong to their own "transparent in a very good way" kind of pres.

thanks!

sp

People don't really want clones of something that isn't famous.

mmm... i get this might be one of those "divided by an actual ocean" thing. i'm guessing in the states (and in canada and so forth) there wasn't much of studer around except for those deservedly known tape machines; but in europe (and even more so in the so called mittel europa) studer boards and pres have been sought after carving knifes in the last 30 something years. surely never know as coloured, maybe they never had a fad in rock studios. still i'd seek after them, and definitely would love to have a diy couple of pres in a 500 format!

desol said:

There is a 500 studer eq right ? I forget whether it included the preamp, ah here it is

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36522.0

I think it's worthy and would buy a pair, Not quite together enough [ myself ] to get
the project going, but I'd try to help if I can.

desol said:

If ppl can put hand on a studer 70' discrete desk...

If you want the "Studer sound" (i mean 60' 70' x89 series) you need a pre AND a sum amp AND a line out.
And i know what i'm talking about  ::)

I've used & like the smaller studer consoles, but can be a little clunky to lug around for a few channels
having a couple for flavor suits me, though I don't know it's any screaming hell ........70's generic ? fine for me.

after more thorough searches, it looks like a 169 preamp replica was already proposed around 2009 by audiox in this thread:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36385.0

been a big ignorant in this don't take any of my words for having any sort of respectability, but it seems to me that there are a very few differences with the original studer drawings found on studer's ftp site. in the audiox drawing there is the necessary introduction of a +48v switch, implemented with the phase switch. the line input part has been obviously cut. the gain stages have been made, instead of the original 3x13 dB steps, to a 4x10 dB steps format. the HPF allows for a choice of cut frequency. and then, where the original mic pre out was routed to the unbalanced insert stage, there's a balancing output circuit.

how cool!!!

my questions: for what i understand, part of the "studer sound" was the transformers, and the audiox retains the original input transformer but does not have an output one. always for what i understand, the original diagram has a post fader output amplification stage based on what is listed as op amp LM301AN made by national. how would that be different from the audiox model? would a fader eventually be useful on a 500 module?

thanks!

spino

Back