anyone actually using the Behringer SRC 2496 ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Just interested on opinions, & if anyone has modded one ?

I have looked at all the hifi forum stuff & the mods they have done.  However they only ever seem to mod the DAC side, since they're not so worried about recording, now it's easy to just copy a CD/Mp3.

130 views & still no response PM or otherwise.

Well I got one of them delivered today.  I thought for the money it's quite a cheap candidate to modify or experiment with.  First impressions it's pretty good, especially for the money.  I'm clocking it externally via wordclock.  I will probably consider/evaluate some mods at some stage, but it's really more than just ok.

If youre using an external clock, i can see the unit working pretty well, with some good results.  I would be suspect of the internal clock, just knowing the company's reputation (the other reputation... not the one of STEALING every design that they have... the one about them using the absolute cheapest parts possible)

That's what I figured with regards to the clock.

It's been a pain configuring the system to use it, but in all fairness that has been nothing to do with the Behringer.  I'm just lucky to have friends to call on who are much better at the software side of things than me !!

The box is a clone of the Rosetta 200 from apogee it looks like without the soft clipping.  If ya got operation questions, i might be able to help.

The problem with behringer is knowing if they copied a good design or are just trying to
look like they copied a good design  [ and then how much they cheapened the design after ]
As seen with the 8 ch preamp allot of their stuff just doesn't last

I know what your saying Greg, but this box seems alright to me, especially for £109 uk including shipping !!    I did some digging around & a lot of the hifi people like it a lot, all be it for it;s DAC side.    There are some pretty hefty mods described on some of there forums, adding valve o/p's &/or transformers.

See below for just a few

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1302889/all

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/65713-behringer-src2496-mods.html

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/9856-Behringer-SRC2496-mod-info-needed

Sorry didn't mean that to sound negative ,  the mods that keith had come up
with  [ fixing the psu  ] for the  micpre convertor  turned it into a reliable unit .
that had a decent circuit , so it would seem you can still be ahead of the game
even after upgrading [ and not paying for the other companies advertising . ]
We almost need a thread [ objective ] or sticky regarding known good behringer
and suspect behringer products .
I should say also thanks for mentioning the product , certainly when someone says
apogee it gets my attention . I quote a friend who says " I'm not afraid to use behringer "
personally , I did buy some truth speaker years ago  [ on my t.v. now ] thinking i could
upgrade them  , liked the bottom end but they used obsoleted power amp chips that
had no substitute  [ although i'd like to be corrected on that  ]

Greg I didn't take your comments as negative at all in actual fact, they were valid points .

I was just looking at this product, & for the money ..........

In the case of this particular product there is little apart from a couple of opamps separating the converter from the outside world.  The converter is going to be pretty much the same as in most other makers units. 

The clock I am not using since it's externally clocked in my case, so that isn't an issue, unless their PLL clock reading circuit is really rubbish.

With regards to the power supply there is a little bit of mechanical hum present from the transformer.  I noticed when reading about some of the mods info on other sites that if one uses transformers directly onto the converter chips you can go without the +&-15v, so subbing just the digital supply transformer would be simple because the transformer only needs 1 tap.    behringer have also very kindly dished the bottom of the case to enable a torroidal transformer to be easily fitted !

fyi; schemas are in documents section.
if you open it up you should also check those ribbon connectors.
iirc there was field service update to get rid of those connectors and solder wires straight in..

Thanks for that tip.  The unit I have being new is somewhat different to the others I've seen.  there is an i/o board which connects to the board behind the front panel, which contains all the other circuitry.
  See pics

Attachments

• P1020247_800x600.JPG
    P1020247_800x600.JPG
    120.7 KB
I've had one now in service over 7 years and besides a slight transformer hum find it to deliver a very satisfying sound. It easily out performs my Arcam CD 82T DAC and when connected via a hybrid  XLR to RCA cable it delivers a very clear punchy sound.

Back