anyone in NY area have a p2p la2a build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Fail, I know for a fact I have learned more from my mistakes than I have ever and will ever learn from successes...

sr1200 said:
I just went over the connections again (especially the ground/insulated posts) and everything looks right now.  Im sure blasting 300+ volts across the tubes didn't help.  If i had a tube tester I would check them, but no luck on that.  I have a new set of cheapo tubes coming in on friday or monday.

Skimming the thread, sounds like you had some or all B-/ground floating, so there'd be no current path, thus high voltages to ground, no current means no tube damage. 

Seems I see the only problem now is a lack of compression.  I don't see a related high voltage mechanism that could affect the T4 in any way, other than C11 shorting and sending voltage through.  I'd suspect the T4 (swap sub to see after confirming lack of DC potential from C11, looks like pin 3) or something in the side chain amp. 

CJ posted a voltage chart somewhere, I don't see any reference to that in the thread.

My voltages are till totally out of whack and there is current flowing now (and still really high voltages across things).  I think im going to swap out the R34 and R36 resistors to try and get the voltage a little lower as well.  New tubes should be here soon, and ill use those to test from here on out unless i find something really "DUHHHH!" lol.

Regarding the resistor thats in the schematic but not on the layout, I haven't been able to find anything out about that and if its a T4A ONLY thing or if its needed for both an A and a B.

K new tubes came in, i notice the new 6AQ5 has almost no heater light, the old one was almost like a light bulb.

Voltages:
at diodes: 357
@R24 (B+) 315

V1
1 - 120.5
2 - 0
3 - 1.07
4 - 6.56vac
5 -
6 - 136.1
7 - 0
8 - 1.3
9 - AC

V2
1 - 64
2 - 5.5
3 - 6.85
4 - 6.56vac
5 -
6 - 240.6
7 - 53.6
8 - 71.5
9 - AC

V3
1 - 308.1
2 - 0
3 - 5.75
4 - 6.56vac
5 -
6 - 307.9
7 - 0
8 - 5.75
9 - AC

V4
1 - 5.25
2 - 5.75
3 - AC
4 - 6.56vac
5 - 315.2
6 - 308.5
7 - 5.25

I did not replace the R34 and 36 to the new ones i got in.  Some voltages are looking better others are still ridiculous V3 and 4 are the worst offenders.  Im a little concerned with the 5v on pin 1 and 7... shouldn't i have nothing or next to nothing?

replaced 34 and 36 and things didnt get better...
350 after diodes and 304 at B+

v1
1 - 113.6
2 - 0
3 - .96
4 -
5 - (AC)
6 - 133
7 - 0
8 - 1.23

v2
1 - 39.2
2 - 9.02
3 - 8.0
4 -
5 -
6 - 226
7 - 34.5
8 - 47
9 -

v3

1 - 298.6
2 - 0
3 - 275
4 -
5 -
6 - 298
7 - 0
8 - 277
9 -

v4

1 - 165
2 - 278
3 -
4 -
5 - 293
6 - 288
7 - 163

I am completely stumped now,  BTW, the 6AQ is now lighting up like a bulb like the old one did... am I just frying these things?

After some more poking and prodding i found another mistake.
::duh::

Voltages are now: 356v after diodes 280 at B+!!! (im ball parking now)
V1
1) 116
2) 0
3) 1.07
4-5) vac
6)121.3
7) 0
8) 1.16

V2
1)104.6
2) 0
3)4.2
4-5) vac
6)228.3
7) 79
8) 109

V3
1) 94.6
2) 0
3) 0.85
4-5)vac
6) 94.6
7) 0
8) .84

V4 (which im excited about)

1) 0
2) 9
3-4)vac
5)96.1
6)117.1
7)0

Gonna pop that t4 in and see what happens no more 300+ volts showing up on tubes!!

You know what is funny... is you have done what I have done many, many times working on broken gear... I ask all over the place... get lots of ideas... and then find the problem myself.

Not to say these guys aren't great help, cause the really are!!!

The beer you owe me, I insist you drink Yourself!

I think I drank to many working on this thing lol.  I sincerely thank everyone that had input on this.  Feels good to know i didn't waste about a grand putting this thing together.  I notice that i cant really crank it like i cranked the original LA2A.  Seems when i get to like 40 on the dial im already clipping my converters.  Gotta be conservative with this one.  (the old one you could crank to almost 70 or 80 if you were burying the needle before you'd get into danger land.  Guess thats what you get when components get tired.  Do any of the voltages look wonky still?  And whenever you guys want that sent to ya, just tell me what you like and where to send it! Cheers!!!  (hope im this happy when the baby is born!) hahahaa  (wife would kill me if she read this!)

congrads on getting the unit in order. you just tackled one of the more harder things to do, making a unit without a circuit board.  It always looks right at first until you really get down on it and notice one or two little things  and boom now it works.  Good job man.  You know with my la2a's I swapped the pots for stepped attenuators. Not sure why other then it seemed like a good idea At the time. out of curosity what was the other mistake you found after more poking and prodding?

Pucho, Im actually thinking of doing that as well, now that I see how these pots react. (either that or changing their value...) I can only use about 1/4 of the dial before the level gets so high its distorting or clipping the converter inputs. (unless im really hammering down the compression knob)

To answer your question, when i wired the unit up the first time, I had different grounding points in the case.  (similar to the last problem where i put an insulated post where a ground post should be) in this case, the top pin of R3 was no longer making it to ground, which is connected to R36... Insert wire=working unit.  I popped in the other tubes i was using and they all work, (and actually sound better) as did the t4b.  I'm still trying to figure out if I should put that resistor across pin 3 and 1 on the t4b (2.2Meg)  Even in the reissue la2a from UA, i dont see a resistor placed there, and all the pics I've seen of everyones builds, I don't see i there either.

Im very happy to read this thread im pretty sure it would help me more and more on my la2a build... (to come)
However im a bit scared about the gain on this beast...SR1200 is not the first one i heard talking about how fast it clipps the converters.

Congrats SR1200, btw my wife is expecting very soon too!

Hey Congrats!!! :)

I should mention that it didn't help that i used a different ratio transformer than the original which added another 3dB of gain onto this thing.  But in all honesty, its not a bad thing.  My plugins I have to go to like 60GR and 30gain to get the SAME result as the hardware at 30GR and 12gain.  Im a little annoyed that the hardware and UAD plugin sound almost identical.  lol  I still like to twiddle the knobs for real, so I'm still happy.

My suggestions:  Keep a print out of either the schematic and or layout (was linked earlier).  Cross off each point as you wire it and make sure all your grounds are grounds and all your insulated standoffs are insulated standoffs lol.

Latest posts

Back