AP System One

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

From the AP-mailing of today:

One thing the end of the year does bring is the final days for System One service. As I noted earlier this year, System One has reached the end of a long life, and it's simply no longer cost-effective to service. To help System One users with the transition, Technical Support has gathered every System One reference they could and added it to a new System One Support page ( ap.com/products/s1 ) including the Service Manual and the original System One Training videos, starring a much earlier rev of the four AP founders!

I didn't see it there (yet) though; I either didn't look good enough or it isn't uploaded yet.

Ah, it's there: http://ap.com/download/search?query=service+manual

(registration / login required)

Regards,

Peter

Samuel Groner said:
Now that's cool, thanks for posting!

The service manual is listed at the bottom of http://ap.com/products/s1/resources

Samuel

My pleasure, and I'm glad I didn't start scanning !  ;)

Hey, a direct link, that's better (wasn't there yet yesterday)

Bye,

Peter

Yeah I looked initially and didn't see the service manual either.

I need a better Ap already!  The switchmode amps I've been working on are now down close enough to Ap System One residuals that further "improvements" may be just partial cancellation effects.  Unfortunately the topology does not lend itself to straightforward increased-noise-gain strategies to lift things out of the soup.

... so we've got the manuals sorted...
  .....now I just need to find myself a "AP System one" and I'm rollin'  .....

Thanks for the link BTW.

radiance said:
... so we've got the manuals sorted...
   .....now I just need to find myself a "AP System one" and I'm rollin'   .....

Thanks for the link BTW.

Hi,

If you want a hardware box but are on a budget then don't just focus on finding that within-spec pawnshop AP*  ;)

Various other companies made stuff that might turn up at more justifiable prices for a DIYer.
Talking for instance about poormans-AP boxes like the HP8903A,B... (for which the service docs are on the net as well BTW).
Tek has made things (the AP-people 'originated' from there), R&S etc

It's of course a bit debatable if you want a hardware box that doesn't go 'all the way' (specwise); a computer & hi-spec soundcard will then be just as good for 90% of what a DIYer would do with a test-setup.

Bye,

Peter

*: only to find that someone took the TXs from them & then brought the remaining stuff to that pawnshop  :mad: 8)

clintrubber said:
It's of course a bit debatable if you want a hardware box that doesn't go 'all the way' (specwise); a computer & hi-spec soundcard will then be just as good for 90% of what a DIYer would do with a test-setup.

Yeah, I might go that road....although I'm still looking for good software for the mac. Any suggestions?

....I did not do a thourough search btw....

Samuel Groner said:
The switchmode amps I've been working on are now down close enough to Ap System One residuals that further "improvements" may be just partial cancellation effects.

Distortion at -120 dB..? That's indeed pretty good for class D!

Samuel

My sys one is just around 3-4ppm, and that is indeed very close to some of the results.  And things are likely going to get better....

The noise levels are also extremely low.  I am using the aux0025 which helps, but is entirely legitimate I think.

Yes, it is quite amazing to me to see as well, and then in addition to realize that the layout can probably still be improved.  I would be skeptical if someone told me they were getting this performance.  New topologies in the works should get even more interesting.

My sys one is just around 3-4 ppm.

You can do FFTs and narrow-band filtering which gets you slightly below -120 dB for the second harmonic and much less for the higher ones. Took me quite some time to figure out the software settings... And perhaps the AD is optional.

Samuel

Samuel Groner said:
My sys one is just around 3-4 ppm.

You can do FFTs and narrow-band filtering which gets you slightly below -120 dB for the second harmonic and much less for the higher ones. Took me quite some time to figure out the software settings... And perhaps the AD is optional.

Samuel

This sys one is bare bones, unfortunately.  I could contrive to do things externally I suppose.

Help will be on the way fairly soon, probably in the form of a lease of a newer machine, as the nascent corp. begins to get a little business and maybe even some funding.

I just discovered today that some discrepant results---nothing terrible but inconsistent and deteriorating, hence of great concern---were due to fatiguing of connector contacts in a 0.156" square pin header plug.  It doesn't take much to screw things up at these levels.

BTW before anyone buys a System One, make sure it comes with the appropriate interface card for your computer, which Ap no longer supplies.  Without it the unit itself is useless unless you just want a convincing prop on your bench.

Back