API eq kits????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's someone's opinion of what sounds good in a circuit that might be completely different. The Fastrons are cheap enough to buy, try, and if you don't like 'em, toss. In my passive EQ, I used Wilco for the low bands and Fastron for the high. The lower Q of the Fastrons was actually more suitable there--otherwise the boost curves would have been too narrow.

Wilco's minimum is rather high from what I remember... like hundreds of bucks per line item.

Edit: I just found this in an email I sent back in January:

Minimum 100pcs. per value at about 3 bucks each. Since I need three values for the EQ, that's 900 bucks!

So far the Fastrons measure pretty nice. I haven't listened to them yet, but looking at the Audiotester screen they do look nice. If they had a lower DCR as Dave said, they would need a lot of added resistance in this circuit to get a nice gentle Q.

Now for the bad news. :sad: I was hopping to have more luck then Dave with those Xicon/Mouser ME429 transformers as inductors. The verdict... They SUCK BALLS. Back to square one on the low bands.

I'm going to put an order in with MCE Magnetics for some OC18CL audio chokes. From my data sheet they appear to be a little smaller then I remember. About .7" x .8" I think I can squeeze them in to my existing layout. It's pretty tight with all the different transformer options.

I'm going ahead with the Fastrons but the footprint will fit both Fastron and Wilco BSL's. So if you must use the BSL inductors then feel free, but you'll have to do the math.

Ciao,

elco

What kind of minimum numbers are we talking here? Perhaps we could set up a group buy to meet the minimums...it seems like there would be enough interest based on the amount of DIY EQ posts around here.

There's nobody online selling these in smaller quantities? No distributors?

I just saw that a couple people asked the same questions. :grin:

Brad

Hey NYDave...I attempted to email and PM you about wanting to build a version of your passive EQ. Please contact me at your convenience.

Thanks,
Brad

Does anyone have a spare Wilco BSL 330mH, 470mH, 680mH and 1H inductor they could spare for science? I will pay shipping and return the inductors in about a weeks time.

I already used up my Wilco privileges on some toroids for a Pultec.

Cheers,

elco

Put in my samples order, hopefully there won't be any prob's. BSL series, in 330000uH, 470000uH, 680000uH, and 1000000uH

thanks again for all the work elco! this is going to be very cool. makes me want to go buy this salvage rackmount cardslot case I saw at the elec. salvage yard down in central ohio. Try and make it work.

cool stuff man,

billy

and the ll1517 option is awesome, i missed that when it was posted i guess....

i'd like to do some lundahl out style and some 2503 style for acouple flav's, maybe try some different doa's. anyway, whenever things get rolling, i'd really like to try these guys out with different doa's and tx's and post samples.

thanks again for all the work elco, and sorry again about it being so long on those wilco L's

billy

Billy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/MikoKensington/API553.jpg

Schmeo.... Thank Miko (our neighbor to the north)!! He's da man!!!

What happened to elco? His last post was June 9. I hope his
553 project is still alive!!

GARY

oh, i'm sure hes tickin away, slow but sure... with that mat02 group buy, the wilco inductors i got to send him kind of sat in a pile of priority mail envelopes and I had forgotten about them, but he's got them now to test with

i have faith ;]

billy

and thanks for that schem gary... wanted to see how they implement the transformer, among some other things. wasn't sure what ratio it was wired for.

whats up with the parallel feed on the + polarity output? looks like pins 2 and 3 are both + (hi) polarity, and pin 4 is - (lo) polarity.... i wonder why?

either way, it'll be cool to be able have lundahl out on these puppies.

billy

[quote author="enthalpystudios"]whats up with the parallel feed on the + polarity output? looks like pins 2 and 3 are both + (hi) polarity, and pin 4 is - (lo) polarity.... i wonder why?[/quote]
Check the schematic/pinout for just about any other 500 Series API module. They had both high and low-level taps on the input and output in most cases. For the 553 they decided one level only, but the pinout had to be the same so it was grandfathered in.

hi
i live near brian sowter and want to ask him to knock me up
the inductors so i can have a go at this circuit,
has anybody got the specs i should ask him for,
for each inductor? for dc values etc
ive only ever order trafo's from him previously,
i could get him to work them out but i dont want to pester him too much,
he's a really helpfull guy but i dont want to take advantage of his good nature,

re the boards
has anybody done straight repro of the original 553 board? a la 312's?
im in for 6 or so when there ready, great work elco

thankyou very much

Latest posts

Back