Apparent Vintage Shure 545 Transformer Issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janalex

Hey all,

I've been trying to find any online references to Shure mic transformers failing and have not been successful. I can't imagine at this low voltage windings shorting but I can't explain what I'm seeing any other way. I removed the capsule and tested it without transformer and its working. Don't seem to have any continuity issues on the capsule side (yellow/green/black). However I am getting a short beep on the DMM when touching black ground and white (which I removed from pin 3). The XLR male connector is removed. I do not get this beep on an SM57 I have. Mic sounds thin with no low end. I am assuming next step would be to remove the transformer. Can someone recommend safest way to do so and what to look for after removal? Any similar stories?

Jan

The white wire of the 545 transformer is the high impedance output and is unbalanced, therefore there will be a continuity between the black/case/pin 1 and white wire.
The SM57 is only low impedance balanced output, with a choice of 50 or 150 Ohms.
The usual cause of a thin sound is damage to the diaphragm, or the diaphragm has come unstuck.

All these mics can work without a transformer. The only issue is when plugging in to a deck with 48 volts DC already turned on.
Regards.

Latest posts

Back