Apple Macs Like Yogurt ? (with "expiration" date)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the psu main pcb there 2 places with green big resistors ,
here the 1/first

Attachments

• G4 PSU-8.jpg
    G4 PSU-8.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
here the 2/second
as visible there is a bit cooked area around the hole where the resistor "leg" is slipped ,
but as visible on the pcb solder side posted above
not damages on the tracks

Attachments

• G4 PSU-9.jpg
    G4 PSU-9.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm back.... but still jumping through new apple hoops.... for some reason they are sending me two factor authentication codes to my old computer, but when I try to switch back and forth between the two computers using only one ethernet cable and one keyboard, it gets stupid...

But so far it is as painless as imagined... I was able to grab this mornings backup from the old computer.

Somehow it made connection to my TV set and wierd sh__ is going on there.

But mostly working

JR

I'm back.... but still jumping through new apple hoops.... for some reason they are sending me two factor authentication codes to my old computer, but when I try to switch back and forth between the two computers using only one ethernet cable and one keyboard, it gets stupid...

But so far it is as painless as imagined... I was able to grab this mornings backup from the old computer.

Somehow it made connection to my TV set and wierd sh__ is going on there.

But mostly working

JR
....... Nothing obvious, good luck.....

cheers

I was almost going to say something nice about apple. My new mac mini transition has gone relatively smoothly but now when I plugged up my dell E310 printer I get a "stopped 'filter' failed" error

I found a new mac driver on the dell website for this printer but haven't managed to get it installed. I see two copies of the old 01 driver and today's 02 driver.

edit- OK I deleted the DELL printer from the printer list and then tried to reload it... it couldn't load the dell drivers (said it couldn't communicate with the printer, so I loaded generic printer driver and that works.. :):):)

JR

PS: One nice thing I'll say, the new mini with SSD memory boots up faster than my display.

Last edited:
I was almost going to say something nice about apple. My new mac mini transition has gone relatively smoothly but now when I plugged up my dell E310 printer I get a "stopped 'filter' failed" error

I found a new mac driver on the dell website for this printer but haven't managed to get it installed. I see two copies of the old 01 driver and today's 02 driver.

edit- OK I deleted the DELL printer from the printer list and then tried to reload it... it couldn't load the dell drivers (said it couldn't communicate with the printer, so I loaded generic printer driver and that works.. :):):)

JR

PS: One nice thing I'll say, the new mini with SSD memory boots up faster than my display.

.... class action with specific law is more than necessary
about this "abuse" to transform in trash anything
which, however, could be used for several more years ,

can we say :
obligation to supply drivers , toner , ink cartdriges , etc.. ,
for 5 years after the apparition of the infamous : "discontinued" ?

cheers

.... class action with specific law is more than necessary
about this "abuse" to transform in trash anything
which, however, could be used for several more years ,

can we say :
obligation to supply drivers , toner , ink cartdriges , etc.. ,
for 5 years after the apparition of the infamous : "discontinued" ?

cheers
I am not convinced that Apple obsoleted my printer software (the Dell printer isn't that old). I am more suspicious that something might have gotten corrupted when I transferred all my old computer data into the new one from a recent backup file. Using a generic print driver works fine.

With the exception of the printer hiccup and forgetting all my saved passwords the transfer was pretty painless.

I really like how fast it boots up, now the computer boots up faster than my monitor.

JR

I think I may have a clue as to what happened. I found a new folder full of relocated items.nosync that apparently got booted out when the backup data got loaded into the new mini.

I don't see the obvious smoking gun but lots of possibilities. Most web advice says just delete these.

For now I have adequate functionality, actually much improved vs old mini.

JR

I replaced my long in the tooth mac mini with a newer version mainly because I was seeing random occasional start up problems. The first time with my new one had a similar start up problem, that I ignored because I was able to get it going by shutting down the mini and rebooting. Since then it happened another once or twice. Doing some web research there are reports about mini to HDMI display issues.

My suspicion is that this is a communication/software issue where upon boot up the mini pings the HDMI port to see what's connected and responding. If the display doesn't respond, or drops the handshake, the mini has no display output.

I am using a different HDMI port on my display, my old living room TV, that may make a subtle difference. Last night I plugged my display into a switched outlet to give me more turn on options but today it booted up perfectly. Coincidentally yesterday I downloaded a new software update (Monterey ver 12.2). Maybe they tweaked that aspect of the op sys.

The bad news is my old mini probably wasn't at fault, the good news is the new one is so much faster.

JR

PS: Maybe I can repurpose the old mini for a video HDR.

Back