Apple Macs Like Yogurt ? (with "expiration" date)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hey all ,

in the last 3 weeks got news from various guys about"death" (stopped working) of their Apple Macs ,
....iPhones apart .... ,
the Mac models are different ,
apart a only 3 months old Macbook Pro (fortunately inside the warranty time) ,
the others are various Mac G4 ( most of them seems by Psu issues , others by cooked cpu or Mainboard issues )
some other are G5 , Mac Mini , and iMac , and the issues about are not much different...... ,

......what a "sad" party ..... : ((( (

are Apple Macs Like Yogurt ? (with "expiration" date) .

A couple of guys with a Mac G4 psu issue asked me if they can be repaired ,

normally for a Pc Win a new psu cost is not hi ,
then replace it with a new one seems to be the best thing to do ,

but the guys say me that unfortunately a new psu for the Macs G4 are not more available ,
as they are discontinued from long time ,

somebody know if repair them in some way is possible ?
thanks for any about !
cheers .

If you really need to repair a G4 PSU, it's like any other switched PSU. They are also still available from the usual breakers, I think. I can't imagine these to be very expensive, as there's hardly any demand. G5 PSU's otoh, are very different and hence very expensive.

You can also replace a G4 PSU by a standard PC PSU. Just the on/off circuit is different, but a one transistor circuit will fix that. One type switches on by pulling the 5V low, the other by pulling a pin high. Can't remember which is which. Too long ago.

Also, as I'm a foodie. Yoghurt doesn't have an expiration date, but a sell-by date. It'll keep way, way longer than it's sell-by date. Years, even, if kept cool and closed.

Macs don't have one.

I have a g5 cheese grater Mac Pro still working but protools ultimate needs to be on Os 10.5 Mojave to run it. My Mac needs a new video card to run Mojave and the going rate for an outdated Mac edition card is in the 399 range. I’m looking at a Mac mini with M1 chip to replace at 1200 ( 16gig memory 1t SSD)instead of going down the constant upgrade obsolete Mac Pro path. Let’s see it’s 2013 purchase and still working with high Sierra but running out of upgrades. I think I got my money’s worth out of it and it still can run as a server.

That's not a G5, Fazer. It's a Mac Pro. Same case, but an Intel processor, not an IBM Power PC RISC processor. Great machine tho. Pity Apple doesn't do that type anymore.

I still have a G4 running a number of SCSI cards for recovery of RAID arrays. Hasn't been used in years. And a G5 just in case. Should boot these to see if they still work. Ah, time...

Yes Cyrano it’s a intel MacPro not a G5. I do have a G5 as well, And it still boots and runs. I can’t believe the price on the new mac towers. A friend of mine bought a cheap one. Paid. $7k For it , Wow! I paid $1.7k. For my 8core MacPro in 2013 by comparison.

I have a g5 cheese grater Mac Pro still working but protools ultimate needs to be on Os 10.5 Mojave to run it. My Mac needs a new video card to run Mojave and the going rate for an outdated Mac edition card is in the 399 range. I’m looking at a Mac mini with M1 chip to replace at 1200 ( 16gig memory 1t SSD)instead of going down the constant upgrade obsolete Mac Pro path. Let’s see it’s 2013 purchase and still working with high Sierra but running out of upgrades. I think I got my money’s worth out of it and it still can run as a server.
I’m also looking at the M1 Mac mini this year. I’ve got a 2011 MacBook Pro that still runs great, but I want a new interface. All the ones I want won’t work with my machine.

Of all the macs I’ve owned only one has actually died. Guess I’m lucky

My work has a bunch of old G4 and G5 towers just sitting on a shelf. I could see if the boss would allow me to pull the power supply from one for you

I’m also looking at the M1 Mac mini this year. I’ve got a 2011 MacBook Pro that still runs great, but I want a new interface. All the ones I want won’t work with my machine.

Of all the macs I’ve owned only one has actually died. Guess I’m lucky

My work has a bunch of old G4 and G5 towers just sitting on a shelf. I could see if the boss would allow me to pull the power supply from one for you
Not sure Rybow if your referring to me but my power supplies are good and working. Maybe R2D2 could use one.

Hey Fazer. Sorry about that. Just the first part was for you, and the power supply was for r2d2. I have yet to master the fine art of multi quote and @.

I have all Intel macs (after retiring a G4) currently

mid-2010 MacBook Pro (first that could take 16GB of RAM) that still runs Pro Tools … first “unibody”

2012 Mac Pro 2.8GHz quad core that turned into a paper weight because of a power outage last week

2019 MacBook Pro 2.6GHz 6-core i7 that runs latest Pro Tools like an absolute champ

In my anecdotal experience Mac reliability is no worse than other PC makers. There’s no pattern in the random cluster of spurious issues. When it rains, it pours.

I would get an M1-equipped Mac Mini if Pro Tools would run on it…. Mostly to ditch the dongles

Thanks to anyone for post !

so :
at the end accepted to give a check to 1 of the 2 G4 with psu issue (...more out of curiosity...)

the model is a " Digital Audio " ,

after done a short search on the web , where lot about fix PC-ATX type is available ,
video tutorials too.... ,

but very little about the Mac type : (

essentially the concept is the same for PC-ATX and Mac type ,
(voltages , connectors , etc...)

but the Mac type seems a bit more "elaborate" , and with more parts ,
also it have the connector that go to the mainboard with 22 pins (2 lines of 11)
PC-ATX have 20 pins (2 lines of 10)
and the Mac type have a +25/28V - called "TRKL" voltage out ,

after a bit accurate check of capacitors status and if something is burned ,
no visible issue found ,
no "pop" capacitors , burned resistors , damaged wires , etc...

obviously also made some power on attempts with the bridge between green and black pins ,
without success... ,
no power on signal from the psu : (

question :
what could be the problem ?

any help-info is welcome ,

in the next posts some images about ,

here the solder side of pcb , where seems nothing strange ,

Attachments

• G4 PSU-7.jpg
    G4 PSU-7.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: