Are mic splitters without phantom power protection just Y cables?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I am referring to devices like Artcessories Splitcom, that prevents the phantom power from going on all connections.

If you were only using it to split mic level signal without phantom power from 1 mic to 2 different preamps, would you need the splitcom device or can you just use a Y cable?

When using a simple XLR Y cable, would each preamp settings of one affect the other preamp sound quality - ie. different impedance, gain, etc?

Thank you.

As always, it depends. In this case, it mostly depends on the input impedance at the preamp(s).

Splitting a 200-ohm mic into a pair of 10k preamps, the mic is not going to notice the difference. But gang a pair of 1200-ohm inputs together and the mic will definitely notice the 600-ohm total load. It will certainly affect frequency response and probably signal level too.

That’s why there are transformers (or active circuits) for such applications.

(The Splitcom claims galvanic isolation on the isolated output, which (to me) strongly suggests there is a transformer inside.)

Last edited:
Thanks MagnetoSound. I was thinking of plugging a U87 into a Neve style and API preamp at the-same time to record one take for sound comparison.

Do you think that there will be a noticeable sound quality difference when comparing both Splitcom vs Radial Pro MS2 Mic Splitter which is more expensive or will it be negligible?

can easily diy a mic splitter with a Jensen transformer or equivalent. I built a couple out of electrical j boxes. The punch outs were pretty good at fitting xlr mounts and switches. Good times.

What you propose to do is fine, it’s mainly about being on the same power/ground. You can only escape the effects of parallel loading by using an active splitter, but then you aren’t directly connected to at least one of preamps in terms of load.

Any kind of passive mic splitter will result in increasing the load (decrease the impedance) the mic sees.
Transformer-based splitters actually increase the LF load, compared to a simple DC-blocking splitter. It or may not matter, depending on the mic.
Most active mics can happily drive lower impedance without changing the frequency response.
Dynamic and passive ribbon mics are more sensitive to loading.
Going back to the original question, there is no doubt that transformers are used in his ART product.

Latest posts

Back