Arienne Audio - Microphone Capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate such and Happy New Years to all. Among my gifts to myself was a Warm WA-47F. My closest experience to a 47 is the B7 capsule on my Blue mics (Bottle and factory modified Mouse and Blueberry with bayonet mounts). I like those, but I know the body and headbasket have a strong influence on the sound so grabbed the Warm to try.

Now my questions, and I think I already know the answers (yes and yes), but wanted to confirm.

1. The Flat 47 is a good choice to get a great all arounder that still retains the "weight" (for lack of a more objective term) of the 47?
2. I just order them via the website and Pre-Order link?

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate such and Happy New Years to all. Among my gifts to myself was a Warm WA-47F. My closest experience to a 47 is the B7 capsule on my Blue mics (Bottle and factory modified Mouse and Blueberry with bayonet mounts). I like those, but I know the body and headbasket have a strong influence on the sound so grabbed the Warm to try.

Now my questions, and I think I already know the answers (yes and yes), but wanted to confirm.

1. The Flat 47 is a good choice to get a great all arounder that still retains the "weight" (for lack of a more objective term) of the 47?
2. I just order them via the website and Pre-Order link?
Yes and yes, but do you not much like the warm?

Yes and yes, but do you not much like the warm?
Thanks so much for the reply with comparison.

I'm admittedly jumping the gun, haven't even received the mic. Honestly I've been hanging around here awhile but not done many mods to date (just the AKG Perception capacitor swap). I've been itching to try a capsule swap. I got a killer deal on the Warm and as affordable as your capsules are I'm thinking it's a good first outing swapping capsules. Had been eyeing a CK12 swap on a 251 clone but that's more costly if I botch it.

From what I've heard I'm sure the Warm is solid, mostly just wanting to tinker.

Here's a recent flat k47 off the new line VS the 47F at the same graph scale. This is only a QC graph, so there are some lumps from modes in the testing environment, ignore those. Note that the scale is quite zoomed out. This is a ~3dB difference (pretty huge)
First off wanted to say that I am really impressed with your work .Wanted to ask you , Did you had a chance to work on c800g k67 capsule yet, if so how is your progress with it ?

I'm thinking it's a good first outing swapping capsules. Had been eyeing a CK12 swap on a 251 clone but that's more costly if I botch it.
From what I've heard I'm sure the Warm is solid, mostly just wanting to tinker.

Hmmm...

Serving Suggestion: Why not order the Flat K47 capsule and pair it with with another, decent but less epensive body/circuit, and compare that to the Warm model that is coming in the mail - before modifying the Warm model?

Rationale: I have read many times in several places the capsule is something sorta like 95% responsible for the sound of a microphone, which suggests, conversely, the internal circuit is only 5% responsible for sound of a particular microphone. Ignoring, for a moment, those subtle differences can be material; why not keep the Warm model intact (for now) and experiment with another, less expensive, yet decent sounding circuit, to test and compare the Flat 47 with and against the Warm model? Doing that would minimize risk to the Warm model, and permit direct A/B comparison between mic capsules (again, ignoring for the moment, subtle differences in circuit effects.) You may, later, be more bold and swap capsules in the Warm body, permitting a more exacting, more rigorous A/B comparison of each capsule in the Warm body/circuit. Fairly low cost condenser circuits are available to facilitate the process, and you can safely experiment without entering or altering the Warm microphone (protecting any warranty protection you may have in its purchase.)

I am merely thinking aloud, but this plan might provide sufficient information to justify altering the Warm model, or not, depending on how the suggested compromise comparison turns out, minimizing any risk in swapping capsules. Um ... ahem ... I think. James

Serving Suggestion: Why not order the Flat K47 capsule and pair it with with another, decent but less epensive body/circuit, and compare that to the Warm model that is coming in the mail - before modifying the Warm model?
Yes, I may well do that. I've ordered the capsule and will look around at options for a build. That said, I got the Warm for under $300 with $150 of that from gift cards. So I'm in $150 on it, which is why I'm so open to the swap. Still, two mics is better than one ;)

I may have the same dilemma as SubSpec
I have a new Warm WA-87r2. Large body, Cinemag CM-13113 transformer, jFET 2N3819 Fairchild NOS, other components seem quality.
It sounds good, having its own personality. The capsule (probably 3u) and geometry, head basket size keep it from sounding very close to the U87i.
✨
Now I have the possibility of a killer offer to buy another new one for 500 euros, which is less than what a clone would cost me, body, components, transport, taxes, waiting time, selection of components, etc. So in 2 days I can get a reasonable clone in which to experiment with different capsules (of course K87Arriene is a favorite), possibly slightly increasing the polarization voltage of the capsule with an additional dc/dc converter, testing different transformers (UTM,ami,Moby),
various jFETs, capacitors, etc.
And measuring with pink noise, after each modification, comparing with WA-87r2 stock.
✨
Or modify the one I have.
Difficult decision!😄

Last edited:
Installed my pair of AA flat 47's in 2 fet 47 mics, and they sound great! I was worried the darker response would be an issue, but they are very well balanced. Thanks!

just rolled out the new site and UTM transformers are now available. The price is $20 less than direct if you include shipping!
I’m just following up as to whether the Flat 47 capsule is currently available as I have a build in progress.

Makin' more as we speak
I’m planning on doing a modification to my Rode NT 1A - I’ve had it for 13 years and I’ve never touched it because it’s just too sizzlingly bright -
I just had the thought that it might be nice to just replace that capsule. I have read so much good stuff about your Flat 47 that I thought I should try one.

If I place an order now, will that put me on the waitlist for the next batch?

I’m planning on doing a modification to my Rode NT 1A - I’ve had it for 13 years and I’ve never touched it because it’s just too sizzlingly bright -
I just had the thought that it might be nice to just replace that capsule. I have read so much good stuff about your Flat 47 that I thought I should try one.

If I place an order now, will that put me on the waitlist for the next batch?
yes, the current ones are just about gone

Attachments

• 430109387_997571491703347_8677955240026871094_n.jpg
    430109387_997571491703347_8677955240026871094_n.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 430039989_764237045668138_6356029826390785344_n.jpg
    430039989_764237045668138_6356029826390785344_n.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 433202274_7360397940708856_5454496459363351540_n.jpg
    433202274_7360397940708856_5454496459363351540_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: