Aston Origin crackling noise troubleshoot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, "Leg 1 / 2 / 3" is very arbitrary. Second, in-circuit measurements of transistors are rarely conclusive.

In this case, the 726 (i'm guessing, mV?) you measured between collector and emitter (middle pin and left pin, going by this last-attached photo) would be the forward voltage of the (zener) diode in parallel with the transistor.

Re-measure those voltage drops keeping in mind they're supposed to be PNP's, and see what you get.

That being said, even if the diode drops look "sane", that doesn't say anything about how noisy the transistors may or may not be.

If you can't get your hands on a pair of 2SA1015's, 2N5401's will work just as well - just mind the pinout!
Alright, got it! I have a cheap multimeter and for some reason it didn't display any symbol in diode mode, but yes, I think it's mV. You are correct; it was tricky to find 2SA1015, so I will probably have to go for 2N5401. Since the measurement doesn't say anything about the noise, I might as well replace them, as this looks to be the main culprit, just to get it out of the way?
I have one of these with the same behavior but it's been on the back burner for a while now since I've got other mics. I guess it's time to pick up this project and we can sort it out together since we might have the same problem. I remember when I first started looking into it that this was a common complaint and I think Aston was doing replacements at some point.

Mine has some embarrassingly bad soldering and lots of flux residue so I'm going to start there:

View attachment 138357

I have a spare LSK170A, two KSA1015, and two of the one gig resistors on hand already. I don't the have the SMD tants, though.
That's a great idea! I'm thinking about ordering the transistors, the FET, and capacitors, just in case. I will probably not make much progress until then, but I will update here in the thread.

I actually emailed Aston twice asking for advice, but I didn't get any response back on either occasion. I wasn't really expecting any help, but it was worth a shot.

I just fired up mine to test and I get an increased noise floor with the pad inserted and it sounds like it's picking up AM when the high pass is turned off. So I proceeded to clean up the board with some 99.9% IPA, DI water, and a brush. I use a Datavac ESD Duster to blow dry PCBs but I'm still going to wait a bit to power it up and see if it's behaving any better. I tried to work some Deoxit D100 into the switches and cycled them about fifty times each but I'm not really sure anything got into there. I'll probably touch up some of these joints as well before I put it back together.

Hopefully that does it but if not I'm going to go down the road of replacing components. I know when I built some Mic Parts mics the instructions were very clear not to touch the gigaohm resistors with your bare hands so hopefully just cleaning it up will help. The levels and impedances at the front end are non-trivial and super sensitive.

Before cleaning:
PXL_20220719_142640969.jpg

After cleaning:

PXL_20241016_171029758.jpg

Back