Audix B100 broadcast console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outside In

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I've been operating a small project studio for 4 or 5 years in the fens of the UK. I've recently lucked into my first class-A gear; an old Audix B100 broadcast console with a handful of spare modules. It seems to be pretty much complete, with the original 24v power supply.

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

I've written to Audix to request schematics and as much information as possible, but in the meantime decided now would be a good time to start posting here, organise my thoughts, hopefully meet some knowledgable people and generally vent my (perhaps premature) excitement!

Depending on feasibility, I would like to use the preamps, compressors, and perhaps the routing & summing matrices in a multitrack setup.  This probably depends mostly on how the summing is arranged now; if the modules (along with routing and output modules) provide a mic/line level signal or if the summing section steps everything up together later in the signal chain.

Right now I want to get my head around how the summing and routing works so I can make a decision and get started. I'm resisting the temptation to try and power the desk up so I can carefully clean / check it over without worrying too much about killing myself.

The transformers seem to be quite exciting; I think they are Marinairs after reading some posts that came up in searches on here: T1442, T1447 and some others. Hopefully I can make a plan that results in surplus transformers for some exotic 24v DIY projects to slot into the desk, depending on the capacity of the power supply  8)

If anyone happens to be familiar with these modules / desks, please do chime in! My progress is likely to be slow, but I will keep this thread updated as I go. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the component side of some of the boards:

Preamp input module:
IMG_2025.JPG

Routing Module:
IMG_2027.JPG

Output Module:
IMG_2026.JPG

Compressor Module:
IMG_2022.JPG

Cool, I hadn't seen one of these.  I had a later design, and can see similarities, but the layouts are very different. 

Would anyone be able to help me find schematics / pinouts for any of the modules in this desk please? I had gathered that Audix are very helpful in this regard, but they are not replying to emails and their phone line seems to have been disconnected, so I'm not sure they exist anymore!

Wow,  popcorn!
Looks like an optical compressor, OI1/2= (custom) Optical Isolator???
Cannot contribute anything but wishing you good luck/progress...
:)

what a nice find.

I found some higher res photos of the front panel for the EQ - really cool design with the slide switches. Looks like inductors as well on the EQ board.

It also looks to be fully discrete. Its ticking all the boxes. Hope you can find some schematics and bring this back into use!

Nice one, look pretty good.

I think those Black Marinairtransformers were also used at some point in Neve Modules, maybe not the exact model.
I'm not sure, search around

It would be great after restored, nice find.

Latest posts

Back