Back in the game

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

Hi all, long time no postie !

Well we moved to Berlin in late August, found a flat, all our stuff arrived fine apart from one of my Korg keyboards
which is dead as a Dodo !

Had a few beers with Volker, went to a Berlin GDIY meet up .... carried on working.

All good.... I thought until late october when I started to have serious excruciating pain in my back and sides, I mean
real "put you on your knees and vomit" type pain.

Initial diagnosis was "kidney stones" ( I've had one before ) and so some treatment started with various drugs and potions.

It seemed better, on and off until Christmas when it returned with a vengence.
I had an ultrasound scan and there were a couple of big 'ol stones in my gall bladder, which came out on the 9th Jan.

A few days into recovery from that and BANG! - same horrid pain returned so I went the same day for an MRI scan.

I had a tumour in my spinal canal, pushing up against my spinal cord and causing the pain ... all along! - the stones were
simply a coincidence.

I have to say that those two words "tumour" and "spinal cord" gave me the shakes.

I went into the Helios Klinikum in Berlin Buch the next day and had the operation a few days later.
There was a chance of paralysis and various complications but there was NO other option, the little bugger had to come out.

I'm VERY pleased to say that it all went really well - surgeon was a genius - and I'm now home recovering for a few weeks.

That moment when I first came around after the op and "wiggled my toes" is something I will never forget for the rest of
my life.
Nor will I forget the absolute first class treatment and care I had during this time.

I have never spent time in a hospital before in my life and i tell you, if those staff in there earned 100 x what they do now
it would not be enough IMO - they were all true angels and I owe them a huge debt for changing my life.

Hard to explain but I have come home a different person in many ways.

So glad to be "back in the game" and I just wanted to share my incredible good fortune :)

Best,
Marty.

Great to hear you're back home recovering safely. Health scares always seem to put life priorities into focus.
Hope you remain in good spirits and good health!

WOAAHHH  :eek:
I´m happy that you are ok now Marty.

Maybe I will return to germany this summer, if there is another Berlin meeting we can share some gummy beers from Volker  ;D

best regards
Rafael

Welcome back Marty!

That's an incredible story - terrifying and then uplifting. I'm glad you are well and recovering - a big +1 to all the docs and nurses who helped.

Stewart

Congrats, good to hear about your recovery. Health is one of the very few really important things in life. Mostly you´re not aware of that until things go wrong.

Thanks for the kind words chaps :)

Well these things just "sneak" up on you, there was no reason for it, just a random bunch of cells that decided to
stay and grow somewhere that they shouldn't have !!

Nothing anyone could have done to prevent it.

M :)

On top of a move  yet  , well truly a new start , best wishes & be well
buy a lotto ticket and enjoy whatever is in front of you
[ and be grateful the hospital wasn't in another country , i don't look forward to growing old here ]

thats fantastic everything went well! nothing like a close call to put things in perspective. the flowers do smell better! welcome back

glad to hear you're OK. all the best for a speedy recovery and return to diy!

Back