Balloons

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the government is briefing the senate today about the recent spy craft and whatever they shot down.

Not being forthcoming to the public gives oxygen to the conspiracy theorists. As if they need encouragement. :rolleyes:

JR

IDK but the most likely explanation is that most of these are innocent (?) old weather/research balloons that are no longer in useful service. The recent publicity and criticism about the actual Chinese spy balloon has triggered a ballistic response from the embarrassed government to scramble high performance military aircraft to shoot down every radar blip made public. They have also been encouraged to stop ignoring the mostly innocuous objects. There must be a cheaper, more effective way to manage this.

Of course our nation's enemies will exploit any gaps in our surveillance so we must get to bottom of this. For those too young to remember, maybe search the U2 spy plane history. The strategy for them was to fly high enough that enemy aircraft couldn't reach them, of course technology (anti-aircraft missiles) adapted and neutralized that advantage.

The Space Forces doesn't sound like so much of a joke now.

JR

I wonder if one breaks up in Area 51, if there will be new aliens found.

I'll bet that every backwoods redneck in the U.S. who can get his hands on a helium tank and a weather balloon is building something from plastic and balsa wood that looks like a hi-tech surveillance device, with fake antenna arrays and camera lenses.

"Hey buddy, hold my beer and watch this.... this is gonna be funny."

I thought it was interesting that they shot down one balloon using an unarmed missile, apparently no need for a war head to deflate a balloon.

Using high performance aircraft to take down slow moving balloon seems a mismatch. It seems like the aircraft guns could easily deflate a balloon, even cheaper than an unarmed sidewinder.

One of the adjustments to the radar detection was to stop ignoring slow moving targets. I suspect there are lots of slow moving targets. We'll probably hear about more.

JR

I thought it was interesting that they shot down one balloon using an unarmed missile, apparently no need for a war head to deflate a balloon.

Using high performance aircraft to take down slow moving balloon seems a mismatch. It seems like the aircraft guns could easily deflate a balloon, even cheaper than an unarmed sidewinder.

One of the adjustments to the radar detection was to stop ignoring slow moving targets. I suspect there are lots of slow moving targets. We'll probably hear about more.

JR
Well, they have to use the old armament so they can buy new and make a profit.

Well, they have to use the old armament so they can buy new and make a profit.

Training is good and necessary. Live fire even better. Here we got a two-fer.
Reportedly they missed with one of those unarmed missiles. :unsure: It took two shots to splash that one.

If anything there are shortages of munitions because of all the weapons and ammo sent to support Ukraine. I just read in the newspaper that we are considering giving Ukraine some captured armaments that were seized while on their way to rebels in one of the several proxy wars in that side of the world.

Indeed somebody always profits from wars, lots of people die. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that we are living in the 21st century and still fighting like barbarians.

JR

Reportedly they missed with one of those unarmed missiles. :unsure: It took two shots to splash that one.
I wonder if it was speed differential or weak signal (or something else) that caused the miss. You learn more from mistakes than successes.

If anything there are shortages of munitions because of all the weapons and ammo sent to support Ukraine.
And leaving billions in equipment and munitions behind in Afghanistan.

I just read in the newspaper that we are considering giving Ukraine some captured armaments that were seized while on their way to rebels in one of the several proxy wars in that side of the world.

Indeed somebody always profits from wars, lots of people die. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that we are living in the 21st century and still fighting like barbarians.

Because we elect (or allow) "leaders" who succumb to their human failings to control a large part of the world. And in reality we still are pretty rough with only the thinnest veneer of society keeping the rest of us from acting out. Take away food or basic services for a couple of weeks in any "civilized" nation and things will start to get ugly.

I wonder if it was speed differential or weak signal (or something else) that caused the miss. You learn more from mistakes than successes.
perhaps some doppler radar used in targeting while there will be plenty of speed delta from the missile's closing rate. I still think missiles are expensive overkill.
And leaving billions in equipment and munitions behind in Afghanistan.
worse than that, all the human assets left behind at the mercy of the Taliban :cry: Not to mention all the women with a taste of a better future, now relegated to a primitive existence.
Because we elect (or allow) "leaders" who succumb to their human failings to control a large part of the world. And in reality we still are pretty rough with only the thinnest veneer of society keeping the rest of us from acting out. Take away food or basic services for a couple of weeks in any "civilized" nation and things will start to get ugly.
I am still waiting for peace to break out since we have withdrawn our influence from international conflicts. :rolleyes: Ukraine is a little hard to read, they were the poster boy for corruption before the war broke out (Hunter-Burisma?).

JR

Back