Basic Monitor switcher and volume controller questions (Noob needs help!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockitdog

Hi everyone.

I was considering building a basic monitor switcher and volume controller (Source & Output selector) based on this well known article.
http://www.proharmonic.com/articles/AT78_OTB.pdf

It's meant to be a small desktop unit that will sit next to my keyboard to switch between my active JBL LSR's and NAD amp running my NS-10s.

My Question is, what are the major disadvantages of this type of passive design? I know there is quite a lot of info on this already but Im getting conflicting opinions and the article seems to dance around known issues.

1. Will there be a problem with stereo imaging if using a quality dual gang pot for the volume control (20% tolerance. Bourns 91A)? If so, to what extent can I expect problems and what can be done to solve this without using one of those expensive goldpoint switches?

2. Will there be an issue with the source and output selectors causing a "pop" on my monitors when being switched. Will this potentially damage anything in my chain? I'm considering using the common "white and black" 4 pole Lorlin switches for balanced operation. 

3. Im not all that worried about a potential drop in level (I've been told to expect around -6dB) but will this design impose any other undesirable artefacts on my monitor signal?     

4. Is there a better way to build a simple passive switcher? I would prefer it to have a volume control on it.

Thanks a bunch
Richard

Alright guys, so no one is willing to help me out here.

I know its a basic question, perhaps a little too basic for people on this forum to bother with.
I do apologies for my utter lack of knowledge.

Oh and I have decided to use a stereo ELMA goldpoint off eBay with pre-soldered SMD resistors.

I will look elsewhere for help on the switch question.

Thanks anyway.

(Can mods delete this thread?)

I have a passive monitor switcher exactly like you describe, with a goldpoint switch.
No problems - it works great.
The only thing I'd like to add is a talkback.

There was an almost identical thread a week or so ago with questions about the very same article. It might pay you to do a search before posting.

Cheers

Ian

Ok found it.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32276.msg391787#msg391787

Needed to wade through a few things. I'll actually try and look first next time.

Thanks Ian.

No problem. Search does not always find what you want. It is amazing what other words people use to describe something you want to find.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back