Beesneez K7 capsule survey

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben,

finally we are talking! Too bad we had to go public for this to happen.
None of this would have happened should you have answered some emails.
I believe some stuff should be improved in the way you operate your company. Perhaps some building methods, most probably QC, and definitely comunication.

« As far as a Note, what do you want me to say on it?  perhaps "hi friend, here is your capsule » »

And why not ? Just a business card with something like 'Sorry for the delay. Best wishes. Ben.' could go a long way. And it would have took you less time than answering this thread.
I wasn't even sent a shipping notification email...

« I may be very busy and have to limit my emails but if you have a problem with the quality of the capsule, why would you post it here without first emailing me. »

Because you do not answer emails ! The K7 group buy thread is filled with complaints about you not answering emails. I sent you several emails talking about technical issues I had with another one of your products, and asking for ETA. NEVER got any response from you ! Re-read my email dated from Nov 2d 2010... I'm still waiting for your answer, and I know you've read it because that the same email I placed my order for the K7. Or should I post that one here too ?

What's a customer to do when he asks nicely and politely, shows patience and understanding, and is not even given the courtesy of an answer?
I started this thread because that was the ONLY way to get you to answer me. I delayed this for a long time but YOUR attitude left me with no other choice.

« 1) the capsule is mountable, the slight rubber imperfection will cause no issues »

Sorry but to me, it is an issue. I expect my capsule to sit straight inside a straight head basket. And what if I wanted to mount it in a narrower head basket? Then it will touch grille...

« 2)When you are working with a fine screw into plastic, occasionally one may cross, this is easy to rectify, just back the screw out and re screw it, the thread will be fine as the acetal we use is very flexible. »

In my (admitted limited) understanding of machining, I always thought that once a threaded hole is found to be offset, there no way to rectify it but to drill a bigger hole and use a bigger screw (and that seldom work) or to fill it and start all over again. Are you saying that the acetal is elastic enough that the new tap will not be driven in the old one, and that the thread would not be damaged and remain as strong as they would have been?

I am the kind of guy who needs to understand. Is the acetal pre-threaded or not? Or do you just force the screw into a drilled hole so it self-taps its way down? In which case how do you make sure that the m1.4 screw remains perpendicular to the backplate while taping?
What I want to understand is how could an offset screw happen, and is done to prevent it?

And if sh*t happens, and the fix is so simple, why did you let it out without fixing it?

“Do me a favour, please start to make capsules the proper way so we can all buy them and the world will be a better place, your skills must be better than mine!!!”

Relax! No need to get on your high horse. I never claimed to be a capsule builder. As the saying goes, I barely know enough to be dangerous :)
YOU are the expert, and as such, I expect you to be able to come with a more detailed explanation than just 'it will cause no issues', or 'won't adversely affect the sound'

“this is due to the screw not seating correctly, the fix is described above.  For this i do accept blame, i must have missed this one though it won't adversely affect the sound, granted it is ugly and i will fix it if you won't.”

If it's so simple to fix, I'd gladly publicly apologize, and fix it myself, but as stated above, I need to clearly understand the process.

“Was that hole hand drilled or what? Any decent CNC, or even drill press, is supposed to drill reasonably perpendicular holes, ain't it? Unless the operator forgot to clean the jig, and left some metal chips on it, offsetting the backplate.... Back to machining 101 then... And even if such a mistake happens, 10 seconds of simple visual inspection should have resulted in this particular capsule being rejected.[/quote]

"Back to machining 101 then aye

Please come and teach me, i'll even pay your airfares.”

Again, you are the capsule expert, not me! All I could ever dream to teach you is how to deal in a less contemptuous way with people who are not seeking for a fight...

btw, our cnc's combined value is over 600k

What's that? A peing contest? You CNCs are certainly bigger than mine, as I ain't got any...
I'm not impressed, China is full of manufacturers that owns even bigger CNCs than yours, and I'm not impressed by their products. Neumann and others proved many years ago that there's no need for CNC to build a good capsule. And what's the point of investing 600K in CNCs if you don't end up with better precision?

Wow, way to go mate, slander me in an open forum and then wonder if you'll be able to get a refund!!!

As pointed out by Gemini86 who gave you good advice : This is NOT something that anyone wants to hear.
I'm not slandering you, I'm just asking questions whose answers I feel entitled too.
I'm sorry for you if your rep gets damaged in the process, but you can only blame it on your own attitude.
I am not concerned by the possibility to get a refund or not, as I believe that doing the right thing is worth much more than 200$

spend a little less time bitching and more time listening and you'll be pleasantly surprised.........

Again, I'm not 'bitching', but since pleasant surprises are what I live for, I definitely plan some careful listening, and comparison with the best reference I can get my hands on, which BTW, happen to be a real VF14 equipped with a Thiersch PVC M7.

« Another case of foot in mouth disease......  do you think we would be so stupid as to send it this way.  man your are a funny guy.....  see above post for explanation. »

I do not use expressions like 'foot in mouth disease', or words like 'stupid', so don't get offended, but you're the one who sent me an 'ugly' capsule, as you named it.

Let it be known here publicly that we have delivered these capsules to you all at cost, i was trying to do a nice thing for a group of people that i thought could benefit from our product.  As it turns out, our niceness will cause irreparable damage to our company.  Often Forum members wonder why manufacturers are so hesitant to come to the party.  In the future, we too will be hesitant to entertain any group buy efforts.

Quote from: gemini86 on July 31, 2011, 09:48:39 pm
wow... Ben, I understand that it must be EXTREMELY irritating to have people start a complaint thread before contacting you...STILL, the sarcasm and belittlement in your tone is unprofessional... Simple be polite and explain your points without talking to the group like we're a bunch of whining 3 year old brats. I've seen a couple threads like this in the past, buyer gets frustrated and starts bashing, others join in, manufacturer gets wind and makes a new account just to counter bash, rather than politely correct the issue at hand.

Not impressed by this thread either way.

(btw: I've had to deal with the wrinkled capsule bit as well. Ben is right, it usually is the center screw that causes it. I couldn't tell a difference either way.

I realise that my sarcasm may be deemed as unprofessional but this thread isn't an attack on a massive corperation, it is an attack on a company who's owner has 4 children and who has to pay 10 wages each week, threads like this close company's like ours so believe you me, it is personal....especially considering the fact that we did these at cost with only the best intentions.

Any of my posts are not attacks on the group buy, just the poster who's post i am quoting.  please don't read more into it than is needed.  thanks .  ben

This is not an attack, and sarcasm and bashing is certainly not the solution.
Please note that I'm doing my best to remain polite and objective.
I'd buy from a craftsman or a small company any day rather than from a big corp, as I fully support the former 'oldschool' business model...
But being a small business forbids you to treat me like a big corp would.
I understand that errors are bound to happen when you are human, but errors only exist to be corrected, and it will certainly do wonders to your business if you could do that.
You have the opportunity to do it, …. or not. I sincerely hope you will choose the first option, for yourself, for your family, for your company and employees, and for the world to be a better place with good capsules makers on it.

Axel
P.S. I also sent you email. You might want to read it.

I used the K7 in my MK47 mic and it sounds amazing!  I have paired it up against a Wunder CM7 and vintage U47.  While the U47 won that day, my mic was absolutely in the same league.  I have used it on many different sources at this point and I am just blown away every time.  I just got finished with a band and the singer absolutely loved singing into it.  He brought it up several times throughout the course of the record. 

Having said all of this, my K7 capsule does sit at a slight angle inside the headbasket.  I wish it were straight but I am so pleased with the sound that I don't really care.  My capsule also has those slight wrinkles around the center screw. 

I had a really good experience in this group buy and am saddened to hear that others did not.  I received my capsule in the first shipment and my communication with Ben was great.  I wish the best for Ben and those who are unsatisfied with the K7.

Hi all,

well i'm really sorry for those who had/have problems with their capsules.

Mine arrived in the first batch of sended capsules and i doesn't had to wait to long to have them. They arrived in pretty good shape and as far as i can say they work great and sound wonderfuly (but i only tested -quickly- them at arrival, for now they are waiting Skylar's second batch body).

I've never had problems communicating either with Ben or Eliza. And i would like to thank all at Beesneez for theyr time and efforts!

I fully understand the frustrating situation for Axel and others stuck with capsules not fully functionnal. I also understand Ben being 'hot' seeing some claims made here.

I don't think 'unprofessionnal' is fair with the service I received. Quite the opposite in fact.  Bad QC? Don't think so as well. And it's not because something is crafted on a CNC that it's faultless, we are all men...

Maybe your email communication with some customers had not being 'on top' on your side Ben. 

Anyway i'm sure answers will be found for both sides.
My 2cents.
Krivium.

Andy Meyer said:
I used the K7 in my MK47 mic and it sounds amazing!  I have paired it up against a Wunder CM7 and vintage U47.  While the U47 won that day, my mic was absolutely in the same league.  I have used it on many different sources at this point and I am just blown away every time.  I just got finished with a band and the singer absolutely loved singing into it.  He brought it up several times throughout the course of the record. 

Having said all of this, my K7 capsule does sit at a slight angle inside the headbasket.  I wish it were straight but I am so pleased with the sound that I don't really care.  My capsule also has those slight wrinkles around the center screw. 

I had a really good experience in this group buy and am saddened to hear that others did not.  I received my capsule in the first shipment and my communication with Ben was great.  I wish the best for Ben and those who are unsatisfied with the K7.

How much bass/proximity effect does yours produce? I've got the same combination, and shot it out against a Gefell M71 (transformer-coupled transistor mic with an M7 capsule), which is not known to be a "bassy" mic, and the lower end frequency response was very similar but the Gefell has slightly more lower mids (the M7 sounds). I wonder if there's something wrong with my MK47, but all voltages are within range and it sounds good.

Message to the admins:

Although some people had serious trouble and long waiting time with this group buy I's suggest to erase this thread partly if not complete.
this was a friendly offer by Ben, we don't want to hurt his business

best Nicholas from Berlin

e.oelberg said:
Message to the admins:

Although some people had serious trouble and long waiting time with this group buy I's suggest to erase this thread partly if not complete.

+1

I've got to be honest, there is no bad publicity in this day and age.  I'm planning a mic build in a few months and due to the fall out from this group buy I've now seen the beezneez brand name every day for a year straight on these boards. 

Good bad or indifferent, that's the only capsule company I could name off the top of my head -- and it's going to be the first place I start when I'm sourcing parts... 

I just wanted to try to add something positive here.

e.oelberg said:
Message to the admins:

+2, then.
I guess nobody here wants that thread being online for eternity... Allthough I can understand Axel's point.
Apart from that, I am fully satisfied with mine wich seems perfect, while I didn't heard it yet because of the lack of a mic body.
Laurent.

Hi All, thanks for your support and i hope you are all enjoying your capsules.  Please; if any of your are even a little bit dissatisfied with the capsule you have, please let me know and send it back for a fix up.  if it is ugly, then get it back to us and we'll fix it.  I have cooled a little and today i am in a better mood seeing the support the group has offered. 

To mad AX;

we may never see eye to eye over this, you are right though, my emailing may have been on the low side but so was yours, you haven't emailed me since november but again, lets not play tit for tat.  I am sorry to you for any difficulties i may have caused you and wish to make amens, if there is a way in which you will become happier then please let me know.

There are only a few replacement and 2 or 3 orders left to ship and then the group buy is closed.

ben

Now, although Ben is a fellow Aussie, I dont know him personally, nor have I ever met him, but he has a great reputation for producing some of the finest microphones and capsules today. It is hard enough for guys like Ben to survive these days with the influx of products out of China or large conglomerates running the small guys out of business and do any of these other options (not that I have a problem with them) produce products rivaling the likes of Neumann etc at the price he provided us? If they did, we wouldn't be looking to the likes of Ben who does produce capsules that do compete with the best.

Whilst Ben may have been a bit (understandibly) grumpy in response and let a couple of capsules out that may not have been perfect, give the guy a fair go, he gave us all an incredible offer and he deserves the opportunity to provide some after sales support, which he is clearly offering.

Thanks Ben for the two great capsules you sent me, they are a valued part of my collection.
Cheers
Michael

mics said:
hi there, thanks for your support.  I do agree as i start to cool that i may have been harsh but i stand by the point that this is a small business that made a capsule at cost and has now been slagged on an open forum.

that is why i am upset

Your welcome Ben. I'd like to apologize to everyone as well. My post was pretty harsh as well. Sorry about that guys.

It's cool to see some reviews popping up about the sound of this capsule. I have been curious about this for awhile. I have heard and used 47 and 67 style capsules, but don't know much about the K7. Very interesting!

Ben,
thanks for your email. Now that we both cool down, I'm confident that all issues will be solved.
I'll send my capsule your way so you can fix it. I'll write you more through email.

Axel

Happy K7 owner here.  It's been installed in an Iaudio MK7 and has had many favourable comments from other engineers and players.  I had a small wrinkle on one side of the capsule but a very small careful adjustment to retension the screw and it went away.  Just need to finish the other MK7 and a MK47 now.

Living Sounds,

The low end in my mic seems to be healthy.  I have even had to cut into the low mids to blend a vocal into the track.  I have not tried any other capsules in this circuit so I don't have much to compare it to.  It doesn't seem to have as much bottom as the Wunder CM7 that I have used with an M7 capsule.  I am working off of memory here so take this with a grain of salt.

I did try a voice shootout between the M149 and my mic and it was silly how much I preferred mine in this instance.  Not close.  The thing that I am actually most impressed with is the high end.  It handles the "S" sounds in a voice with such grace.  It is a mic that gives me the detail inside of the singers mouth and throat and I cherish that kind of intimacy in a vocal recording.

Same with clarinet.  All of the rasp and breath captured while the recording never came off shrill or strident.

Can you tell I love my mic?

Andy Meyer said:
Living Sounds,

The low end in my mic seems to be healthy.  I have even had to cut into the low mids to blend a vocal into the track.  I have not tried any other capsules in this circuit so I don't have much to compare it to.  It doesn't seem to have as much bottom as the Wunder CM7 that I have used with an M7 capsule.  I am working off of memory here so take this with a grain of salt.

I did try a voice shootout between the M149 and my mic and it was silly how much I preferred mine in this instance.  Not close.  The thing that I am actually most impressed with is the high end.  It handles the "S" sounds in a voice with such grace.  It is a mic that gives me the detail inside of the singers mouth and throat and I cherish that kind of intimacy in a vocal recording.

Same with clarinet.  All of the rasp and breath captured while the recording never came off shrill or strident.

Can you tell I love my mic?

Thanks! I second everything about the detail and sibilance. It sounds more finished than any other mic I've tried and takes huge amounts of EQ very well. I'm just not sure about the low end in mine. I could try different tubes, but I doubt they're issue.

Im very much looking forward to receiving mine now it is in the post. While I was annoyed at the lack of contact for a while, I certainly wish no ill on Ben's business. But I'm sure this won't affect it (as long as it doesn't take this long for the normal price items!)

living sounds said:
Thanks! I second everything about the detail and sibilance. It sounds more finished than any other mic I've tried and takes huge amounts of EQ very well. I'm just not sure about the low end in mine. I could try different tubes, but I doubt they're issue.

It could be flux, grease or something on the high impedance area causing a leakage path and low end loss.

[/quote]

It could be flux, grease or something on the high impedance area causing a leakage path and low end loss.
[/quote]

Flux remover pen will make short work of that.

Thanks, I thought I cleaned the flux but I'll look into it again. Could a defective cap be to blame? I think I tested them for capacity before commiting them to the board, but... I seem to remember some folks had problems with the yellow B+ filtering cap, but for too little low end the big PIO one is what I would expect to be the cause.

I 'm presuming the diaphram mount should NOT physically touch the head basket, but
in my apex 460 it seems to , this creates another ground path ?

Back